Old battery charger part

debe

Found an old battery charger in the local scrap yard with burnt out transformer. Salvaged the neat looking ammeter, & a large tube. I am asuming the tube may be a rectifier as i couldnt find any thing else. There was nothing conected to the pin on top of the bulb & the filiment in the middle reads .03 Ohm. The screw base has stamped in it SEPT48, REVALL. 6 Ampere , Made in USA. The Ammeter has very faded printing on the dial, Warning do not exeed 6A for best bulb life. So any ideas as to what the bulb is?

Attachments

Always knew them as Tungar tubes half wave rectifier.
..........and they usually put out a wicked, purple glow through the charger louvers while in operation. It's too bad the whole charger was kaput though. I'd love to have one on my shop wall just to "wow" the modern generation into thinking I'm Frankenstein........

By the way, if that bulb is still good it has some cash value to guys who have the old chargers.

neonman

That's a nice example of a half-wave rectifier tube. It's good that you got the porcelain socket with it. They use a tungsten filament and are filled with argon, which is where the name tungar comes from. The argon contributes the violet glow when in operation. Nice find.

Jim

debe

Thanks for that, I have no idea if its still good. Also there was no connector left in the charger to go on the top of the tube.

Frank DeWitt

Subscriber
Thanks for that, I have no idea if its still good. Also there was no connector left in the charger to go on the top of the tube.
You can test the tube by applying power to the filament (Although I don't know the voltage.) The top pin is the half wave DC output. The connector was often a Fahnestock clip

https://www.amazon.com/Ajax-Scientific-Brass-Fahnstock-Clip/dp/B00EPQKO6U/ref=sr_1_4?hvadid=77859218311506&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=fahnestock+clip&qid=1573937594&sr=8-4

i have several of these chargers & bulbs. that one has run a lot,maybe a little higher than 6 amps. i find unusual that the charger is burnt out . pretty tough to kill. if i rember right 3 volts is the volts for the filament.the pin on top went to the plus on the battery i belive have to go look.there were 3 types of bulbs 2,6,and 15 amp.the 2 & 6 were for battery charging.the 15 amp was used in movie sound power supplies.usually 4 in a set.there was one other called a RECTIGON. this was westinghouse's version. tungar was GE's units. then there were a lot more spin offs.:D:D:D:D

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
Hee hee... Old Tech ROCKS!

The Tungar tube is one of the things that proves that Edison was a 'hack'. He was trying to make his incandescent lamp work, when he discovered that a heated filament in presence of a third electrode would tend to pass current in one direction, but not the other.

his comment was "Curious, but useless".

And that's why we have outlets in our homes that have AC.

The battery charger probably failed due to the insulation of the transformer windings succumbing to age. There's really not much a Tungar-based charger can't withstand in terms of electrical transients... an EMP would 'tickle' it, but not enough to make it giggle. Someone COULD have overloaded the tube, and the transformer feeding it, consequently killing the tube, and then having someone replace the tube (with a damaged transformer winding), but I kinda doubt it. It probably just wound up with worn-out insulation that shorted internally.

Frank DeWitt

Subscriber
Hee hee... Old Tech ROCKS!

The Tungar tube is one of the things that proves that Edison was a 'hack'. He was trying to make his incandescent lamp work, when he discovered that a heated filament in presence of a third electrode would tend to pass current in one direction, but not the other.

his comment was "Curious, but useless".

And that's why we have outlets in our homes that have AC.
Edison was working on a electric light source and infrastructure such as house wiring, lamp base, sockets, switches, fuse holders, and wiring proceeders reliable enough to replace gas lighting for residential use. For the project he was working on the “Edison effect” was useless. He was busy creating a different industry.