Old Bench Lathe

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Here is the lathe I mentioned previously.
No history of it is known to me other than the guy I got it from was using it to turn wood. He did manage to keep track of the tool post and (1) bit holder.
3 Jaw chuck is about 4" dia. Looks like it will take 12" dia over bed ways and about 32" from chuck to tailstock.
Someone had it apart enough to put a V-belt on it over the flat belt pulley. Back gears work. One bracket for the feed gears was broken and has been welded. All the feed gears that are there turn and the feed lever works on the apron. Cross slide dial/hand crank is missing. What you see in the pictures is all that I have for it.
If anyone knows who made this or when, I would appreciate the info.
Thanks!

Attachments

Rob Charles

Subscriber
They were made 1870's to likely 1890's ish. You can see a youtube of mine at an engine show. Looks up roadking805 channel and 1890's lathe . If I was more puter smart I could figure out how to post a link. Rob

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Rob Charles:
Watched your video. Is that an original manual for the lathe?
If so, why are you handling it with those dirty fingers?!?!
Seriously - Would it be possible for you to make a copy of it? I would love to have a copy to go with my Barnes lathe.

Rob Charles

Subscriber
Yeah a couple of commenters on the vid pointed out about the dirty fingers. I held it by the edges so it didn't get dirty. You can buy a repro manual from I think Lindsey publications? Maybe Nation Builder Books,Try looking on Evilbay Rob

---------- Post added at 12:45:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36:53 PM ----------

Just looked on Evilbay. No book but there is a bunch of parts including a set of change gears. Rob

Rob Charles

Subscriber
I looked at my reprint book and it's from Lindsey publications. Not quite the same as my original but has lathes in it as well as saws etc. Rob

AngrySailor

Subscriber
I have a very similar lathe to this. So similar I’d say it’s the same manufacturer but maybe a different model? It also has the manufacturers tag on it but it’s buried in the back of my fathers shop and I don’t recall the make or model.