old boring mill

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Pretty Cool !

Wouldn't mind having it myself.

Looks like an interesting building it was in too with the arched doorway.

LCJudge

Subscriber
I've got several of the old machines. Lathes, boring mills, shapers, planer mills, etc. They are great hunks of iron.

Marcel P

Subscriber
It has no makers plate but the name Defries is casted in the base. The brass instruction tags are in german language. But you're right, there is a strong resemblance with a Lucas. It will be interesting to find out if there is a link!

Marcel

Attachments

Marcel P

Subscriber
Went to pick up another HBM yesterday. It is a GSP - Guillemin -Sergot - Pegard. It has been at the same shop since new. The son in law told me that it came into town by train in the late 40's and was then disassembled to move it to the shop some 5 miles away. The shop was located in a rather small street, hidden behind the houses. We had to disassemble the wheel from the counterweight chain, and after that it was moved to the street in virtually no time, only had to hold it with a wire rope pull hoist while going downhill. Now to find documentation, it seems that there is not much to find on the www

Marcel

Attachments

DieselAddicted

Subscriber
Used to be a Pegard HBM in a shop here. When the shop closed they could not sell nor give it away so it went to scrap. It ran from the opposite side of a Giddings Lewis thus operating habits caused a few mistakes. I have a Giddings 25, the smallest HBM they made.

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
Now we ALL know how to find Marcel's shop-

Fly over Europe in an airplane, and when the compass spins wildly, you're there! :D

Great finds!