• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Old School Honda 90

Firewoodguy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/01/2019
here is a new ride my brother fetched few weeks back. were gonna run it as you see. check out the sticker on the front fender. I was told this bike can get almost 90 miles per gallon! top speed of 65.

Attachments

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
Re: old school honda 90

S90. Highly collectible.
Good luck with the carb and gas tank as they'll likely be crudded up, otherwise it should fire right up. Nice flowers! Certifies that it was 1960's hippie owned.

Firewoodguy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/01/2019

it sat for 35yrs. was luck to find it had no fuel in it. the tank is clean. I'm sure the carb will need cleaning anyway. I had it started with either for a few seconds enough not to put a hole in the piston. has a few acorns spit across the ground. the sticker says gene mcgarthy! old politics. :brows: yes a hippy runner. lol here is a pic of our other 90 we have that both will sit aside. this bike was pretty much in the same cond

Attachments

Doug Oldenburg

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/02/2019

here is a new ride my brother fetched few weeks back. were gonna run it as you see. check out the sticker on the front fender. I was told this bike can get almost 90 miles per gallon! top speed of 65.
I've had a couple of these back in the '60's & can say the 90 MPG is very realistic for this bike........But the 65 MPH would be quite a stretch, Unless downhill with a pretty good tailwind. :brows:

Firewoodguy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/01/2019

65mph is scary to even think about with one of these. The smaller 90 (cleaner bike) has 2 sprockets on it. 1 for trail, other for hwy.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020

Wow, that's neat! I remember as a kid people had the Trail 70s and 50s. Those were neat too!

I'm constantly amazed at the sort of stuff that is coming out of old schools these days!! None of the schools I attended had Anything anywhere near as neat as stuff like this!!

I don't know if it's where I went to school or when lol. :shrug:

Keith

Doug Oldenburg

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/02/2019

[QUOT The smaller 90 (cleaner bike) has 2 sprockets on it. 1 for trail, other for hwy.[/QUOTE]

I remember those also......In the tool kit you had a short length of chain {4-6 links} that you would put in when wanting the "Road" sprocket. :brows:

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015

The earlier trail bikes like this CT110 and the CT90 had the two sprockets. A couple years later they went to one sprocket and a hi/low secondary gearbox.

JWitt

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2020

A little 90 I had a couple of years ago. An SL90 only produced in one year, 1969. As far as I know it was the only 90 with a tube frame. This one was painted the wrong color, they only came in red or blue.

Jim

Attachments

Firewoodguy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/01/2019

[QUOT The smaller 90 (cleaner bike) has 2 sprockets on it. 1 for trail, other for hwy.
I remember those also......In the tool kit you had a short length of chain {4-6 links} that you would put in when wanting the "Road" sprocket. :brows:[/QUOTE]

yes, its got the tool kit and chain.:)

Steve Kunz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/23/2020

Nice looking old 90. I had a 1967 S90 it was black with silver fenders. I think 65mph would be pushing it, best I can remember 50 maybe 55. Also the round plastic emblems on the gas tank would get brittle and break.I traded it off years ago but I think I still have the tool kit.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017

I had a C-110 and several 90s when I was a kid. you couldn't kill them! before you run it too long, be sure to clean out the centrifugal 'filter' on the crank. you don't want to circulate old particles thru the engine. Nice find! My 110 had the semi automatic clutch. We used it on a construction site for months! it would run 2 weeks on a tank of gas!

Firewoodguy........go here http://hondatrailcts.yuku.com/bhondatrailcts#.WDOPS30YHep for information. I have a 1966 CT90, the earlier one with the step through frame and separate trail sprocket. My my son has both a CT90 and the later 110 with the sub transmission so you don't have to change out the chain. Yours is designed for street use and there's an website out there somewhere about a guy taking one around the world. Some of the repairs they had to make along the way were historic, but the bike performed well and did the job.

They're good bikes within their limits. Check your front fork for any oil leakage, stiffness or odd problems. Many kids used these for dirt bike (jumping) and that's NOT what they were designed for. In proper operating condition they will get over 100 mpg at normal (40-50 mph) road speed. Parts are available almost everywhere for your vintage bike but the most important part is a good shop manual such as the one written by Clymer, still available on Ebay. Get one and learn about the bike before you turn a single nut and you'll be handing it down to your grandkids.

Firewoodguy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/01/2019

Thanks for the heads up. The bike in the 1st pic has the 1 sprocket which is the road bike. The cleaner 90 has the 2 sprockets which is the trail bike. The forks are in good condition. I was lucky to find it in care of a 1 owner who took care of it. That bike only has 750 miles on it and it was a 1 owner with orig title still dated 66. the rusty 90 shows 1100 miles and spent it's life on the front porch of a house that took some weather. both my 90's came with orig titles. I kick myself for selling a pair of dreams we had several yrs ago. dang it:bonk: That would have made a nice collection.

Archaeometrist

Registered

The style of that bike reminds me of the 175 twin I had back in the late 70s. I wish I had it now!

It was a reliable bike, although it didn't like to keep the battery charged up like it should.

I regularly got 60 mpg out of it. I'd love to have it now!

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017

My 1969 CL125 twin was a very reliable bike. It got about 60 MPG, and would do 65 on the flat. Don't ask it to go up hills though! The bike was a real screamer though - engine was rated at 13 HP at 17000 RPM, and you needed it to go up a long hill on the highway!! The engine could get to 22000 without blowing up. 75 MPH with a good tail wind:eek: At highway speeds, it sounded like a 2 stroke! I was told that Honda used the pistons, rods, and bearings on their 4 cylinder 250 racing bike! Wish I still had it, it was one of the last CL-125 twins brought into the US. In 1970, the CL125 was made as a single cylinder. I had one of those too. More power and torque, but vibrated like hell! :eek: The twin was so smooth, you could balance a nickel on edge on the fuel tank cap at idle.