• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Old self propelled mower. Atco?

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
Got this mower cheap yesterday.I knowit's not that old, probably 1950's would pull it up. No carby or fuel line and throttle cable. Carby inlet on motor is appox 20mm. Just wondering what is correct make, and carby throttle set up? Cheers Neil.

Attachments

cobbadog

Registered
At aguess it is a Mk1 which uses the standard Villiers carby, cable and hand throttle and readily available evrywhere from rallies to fleabay. Just about all Villiers 2 stroke mower engines used the same carby. It will have a date stamped on the brass flywheel which should be month/year. Great mowers and still popular. I have a Ransomes Simms & Jefferies which has what looks like the same engine.

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
Thanks, Couldn't see any numbers on flywheel.Still seems to have spark so worth a go to get it going. Freed up the dog clutch. Seen some pictures of the carby and I had one of those kicking around for ages and gave it away! Will look for one at Ballarat swap. Thanks for help, Cheers Neil.

cobbadog

Registered
G'Day Neil. No doubt you will find everything at the swap meet. Numbers are stamped on or near the spokes of the flywheel. Sometmes they need a bit of fine wet n dry to enhance them and other times they are so bold you cant miss them. The flywheel should have had an aluminium cover to keep the dust out and the numbers will be there so look carefully. They are usually about 1/4" tall.
The original hand throttle is just like the victa one but is a round lever usually with a ball on the end. There were a few different styles of air filter, from a bell shaped inlet with a metal gauze to a metal canister style. Look around they will be out there and should not be expensive at all. To get an idea on value of the carby do the fleabay thing they turn up there a bit but around $20.00 should get near the lot depending on condition.
Just looked on fleabay and what you want complete from throttle lever to air filter is listed for $25.00
+ postage from Newcastle NSW. Have a look so you know what to look for at the swap meet then if not successful by one off the net. Hope this helps

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
Thanks,I'll look now, thanks for your help-Cheers-Neil.

---------- Post added at 02:52:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03:08 AM ----------

What's the description of the one on Ebay please Cobba, can't seem to find it.-Thanks

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
Just did the same and there they are, buggered if I know what happened yesterday. Thanks.

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
Went to Ballarat Swap Friday. Saw a complete atco, pricey, but good unit. Mine is ok so all I need is carb and throttle. Saw a few carbs but not good nick. Will get one now at least I know what I want thanks to you blokes. Swap meets are changing, heaps of crap for sale with a few gems in between. Then again, I'm much more choosey now, only buy what I "specialize" in I guess. They even had an amusement park in the centre of the swap, dodgem cars and all. Guess that's ok for bored kids but seems anything to make more $ is the go. Bloody electric and motorized scooters and bikes everywhere with young fit blokes on them, I don't get that. If you're crook that's ok, but just lazy? While I was lined up to get in, I counted about 150 people in front, same behind me. At $15 a head, comming in all day, plus site fees,not a bad days work for someone? Will take cover off flywheel and see date, have mower at home today. Enough whingeing, cheers- Neil

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
Cobbadog, Numbers on flywheel under cover are- R 52 A52M 3 / 8. so I'm guessing 1952.
Will get a carb, a good one will turn up. Thanks to all again.-- Neil.

cobbadog

Registered
Yep 1952. Any carby will clean up perfectly well and work. the difference is the condition of the cable. throttle levers are still fairly common too. So keep an eye out in those mower parts section of the auction sites.
I had some very ugly looking carbies for a Model 1 Victa and hit it up in the bead blaster, came out like brand new.