• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Old Style "Beaded" Pipe Fittings

Wayne Grenning

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2018
I have been trying to locate a supplier for these. They are still made throughout the globe including Europe, Asia and South America. I have been unable to locate any source for them in the USA. Does anyone know of a domestic distributor that carries them ? - Thanks Wayne

midpw

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/01/2018
Re: Old style "beaded" pipe fittings

No I don't but that's a darned interesting question.......I hope the answer is yes!!

Dave Wight

Registered

try some of your local hardware stores,they might be able to help. good luck dave

Skidmore

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/24/2016

We find alot of old gas line fittings in old houses an buildings that are being torn down. Try looking around local salvage yards. Nothing worse than seeing China fittings on a restored engine.

Last edited:

Chris Epping

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019

Wayne, Been looking for the same thing for a long time - they DO make them in NPT, but I haven't found any American companies although JP Ward still makes some really nice Cast iron fittings - but not in the beaded style.

For the beaded style you have to find someone who carries the "Sun" line. They are a chinese manuf. so locating someone who carries them might be a little tough, but they do make a beaded fitting in NPT. Let me know if you find a place to get them.

Thanks for the interesting topic,

Chris

John Merry

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/11/2020

I usually find 1 or 2 early pipe fittings when I visit the local scrap yard. Most are in the 3/4-1" npt size. Takes alot of searching to find enough old fittings to restore just one engine. The larger sizes are harder to find. I am in need of a 2 1/2"npt early elbow---would pay dearly for one. Any out there?

Brian Triebner

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2019

Light bulb just went on. We all have some beaded fittings. Any chance we could have a swap list for what we do need in exchange for some we do not need ?

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019

They are called beaded as the lip on them at the threads is in the shape of a bead (rounded). Fittings we get here in the US are banded as the lip is in the shape of a band (squared edges). The fittings with no bead or band, like we find on some of our early engines, are called plain. Around WWII the American Society of Mechanical Engrs and the American National Standards Institute adopted the banded fittings as the US standard. The standards are why we have National Pipe Thread (NPT) as the thread we all use here in the US. Otherwise each company would develop their own thread size and taper (and spend a lot of money telling us how theirs is better than everyone elses)

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

I've done exactly the same thing Wayne. There are no suppliers in N. America that carry the beaded fittings. The banded fittings are required as they are the ANSI/ASME Standard.

The beaded and plain fittings that can be found in some overseas markets are BSP (Metric - Standard Pipe Thread). I've contacted suppliers in India and several other countries trying to purchase small quantities. You have to buy a 40 ft container full for them to make a shipment. I would buy 500 fittings. I don't need 500,000.

The threads on many of these fittings are very close to NPT and you can run a NPT through them and in most cases they will work OK.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

Last edited:

BuckeyeMan

Registered

I think we are all running out of our limited supples. It might be good if one of you guys that grow money would buy a full load from 1/4 up through 2" or maybe even 3". I'll bet you could make a little on it and sell most of it over a 4 or 5 year time frame.....just a thought..............DH

Mike

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019

Next time one of your friends take a trip to China, ask them to visit a local flea market and fill up their suitcase.

Harry Terpstra

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

This is what we buy here in the Netherlands.
I guess this is what you call the beaded style?
Unfortunately they are galvanized.
I can easely get 500 however 500.000 will be more difficult:D

Attachments

BobRR

Registered

You could try contacting the oldest hardware,oldest plumbing suppier and oldest plumbing co. in your area and see if they have some stashed. Bob

Tom Martin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2012

If you heat those galvanized fittings red hot, or put them in Muriatic acid for a little while, the galvanizing should come off.

D. Dean Suhr

Registered

Have you tried Grainger's? I believe that is where I found brass, beaded pipe fittings.

Jeff Smith

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/05/2018

Dad stops at all of the old hardware stores on the back roads and buys all that they might have; I remember when he bought an entire box of Ford Model T spark plugs that were brand new still in the boxes when I was a child.

Jack Innes

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/17/2020

It is a little tediuos but I have turned the "band" into a "bead" on a lathe. If you chuck a piece of pipe then thread the fitting on you can turn an acceptable bead. Light cuts are needed to avoid distorting the thread. Bead blasting afterward recreates the cast finish. File China off before you blast the fitting as well"

Wayne Grenning

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2018

Jack, Your method is just what I have done in the past. It takes a lot of time to do that on an engine that has 30 + pipe fittings.
We just got a compressor in from Italy this past week and every fitting on it is beaded. There must be a way to get them over to the USA. The nice thing about these is that the countryu of origin is not cast into the part.

DH, I am looking for that money tree. Once I find it I am going to order a shipping container of fittings.

The problem is that if you buy it from the suppliers directly they want min-orders of thousands. - Wayne

Bill Schaller

Registered

Here is one place that has them. Shipping won't be cheap, but at least they speak English. If you order some, I would like to get in on the order.

Attachments