• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Old tool boxes

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
When I posted pics of my toolbox in the Sears thread I thought I may as well start a thread on toolboxes here is one of mine probably dates in the late 1800's. Shop made of walnut.It came from the George Green machine shop in Lambertville NJ.dont know if it was made there.IMG_20200220_125358900_HDR.jpgIMG_20200220_125358900_HDR.jpgIMG_20200220_125358900_HDR.jpgIMG_20200220_125415880_HDR.jpgIMG_20200220_125431112.jpg I use it to keep my antique machinist's tools in.

JeffK

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/09/2020
I have this one and I am not a machinist. Am I better selling it box and tools or separately

Attachments

PFT

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/07/2020
Jeff, that is an H. Gerstner & Son model 052 box. I have one I bought new about 1970, still in good shape, although the hardware shows rust from the humid Central New York climate where it spent most of its life. Don't know about selling it, I use the stuff in my box and sometimes add to it.
PT

Bear67

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/02/2020
Jeff
That is a really amazing box. I think it is a Gerstner and they still make them, but that has the character of age. I would feel honored to get the opportunity to try and buy either the box or box and contents. But I imagine you could get more selling them separately as many folks buy early machinists chests for jewelry or collectables. If it is indeed a Gerstner, they will even factory refurbish it with original hardware or new factory iron. Guess I could just run up to your place when in Coolspring or Rough and Tumble and try and trade you out of them. Thanks for sharing.

I am a mostly self taught machinist and make my living farming, in construction and the oil patch, but I can make parts for my stuff and enjoy learning any additional skills even at my age. I am sincerely trying to wear out rather than rust out.

I am extremely proud of two sets of machinist tools that I bought from the widows of good friends who have gone to a happy machine shop in the sky. I have their original Kennedy metal boxes and treasure them, but both ladies kept their wooden machinist boxes for children or grand children who were not interested in the objects that their forefathers made a living with and cared for enough to keep them secure, clean and I feel sometimes well loved in passing. They are using them for jewelry. I am secure in the fact that I have sons, son in laws, and grandsons who will take, use and treasure some of my tools. I have heavy equipment tools that my Dad's oldest brother bought at the end of WWII after being wounded for the third time and sent home in January 1945. He was given purchase orders to buy these tools in Flagstaff, Arizona as he was going to work for Peter Kewitt and Sons(sp). I am named for this Uncle and I still treasure owning and using his well worn and treasured wrenches and sockets,

I also have a mentor/machinist/great friend whose wife and children all say I get his tools when he goes to meet our maker as they know I will use and treasure them as their father did. The wife also says I have to tell his story at the services and be ready to move mills, lathes, saws, ect asap--she wants her garage back. I already have several of his engines and more importantly the memories of good times spent working on projects and sharing a love for making something come back to life. His legacy will not be the tools and skills he shared with me, but the memories I will have of the many hours spent together.

Sorry I have rambled again.
Bear

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
Here's another box. Not sure which trade it was intended for. Perhaps surveyor or engineer. It's Oak. My dad got this from a metal working Machinery dealer in the late 60's. It came along with a Tabor steam engine indicator.it had gotten in bad shape from damp storage and needed a total redo. My dad started on it and got most of it done then I wound up with it.the lid holders were busted up . One of he escutseon plated around the draw pulls was missing. I made new parts for it.. I finished it in Tung oil. The inside of the lid may have had felt at one time as the wood had a ref tinge.IMG_20200220_090137841.jpgIMG_20200220_090137841.jpgIMG_20200220_090202283.jpg
I don't think it's American made as the hardware and screws are not normal sizes. The brass plate on the top is a replacement. My dad thinks he had the original somewheres so I'm the mran time I made a temporary. The original plate had the name Case engraved in it with Baltimore MD under it. The box had some bearing scrapers and lapping compound in it. Because it came with the indicator I think Mr Case may have been an operator of a steam engine.
Please excuse the mess on the bed it's a spare room.
Rob

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
Here's another one. I know it's not a machinist's box. This is my great grandfather's capenters box. William F Charles was his name and he passed on in 1943. He was an undertaker by trade having a funeral parlor in the front of his house and living in the back. Out in the garage was his wood shop. He built coffins with his tools.i have a few of the tools that were his but alotIMG_20200220_090235999.jpgIMG_20200220_090250728.jpg of them got gone over the years. The box still needs some work but I am going to leave it in the old finish.

Dale Russell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/29/2019
Here's another one. Gerstner O-52. .my maternal grandfather's. He bought it new in the early 60's. I use it every day in my shop.View attachment 381294
I have that same Gertnster Machinist Chest full of the Machinist Tools. My Grandson is interested in the Chest but he isn't a Machinist. I am retired and probably won't use the tools any more and am getting on in years. What do I do in a case like this?

Last edited:

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
I have that same Gertnster Machinist Chest full of the Machinist Tools. My Grandson is interested in the Chest but he isn't a Machinist. I am retired and probably won't use the tools any more and am getting on in years. What do I do in a case like this?
Perhaps your tools might spark an interest in him going into the trade? Or does he just want the box for another use?

Dale Russell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/29/2019
He has worked for Cobalt Boats here in Neodesha, Ks. for 15 Yrs. doing various jobs from installing Engines in Their Boats to running a Router making small Plastic Parts at present so I don't think he apt to change jobs Mid life. He is interested in restoring & showing Antique Gas Engines & has been for Yrs.

Frank DeWitt

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019
I have a feeling that giving him the chest would make you both grin more then selling it or leaving it sit. I would either sell the tools, or buy a $60 metal tool box and transfer them to the new box