• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Old Towmotor Forklift

Fred Prichard

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/16/2019
Does anybody have a c.1950s-60s Model 501 P Towmotor forklift? I need some info about the slush box transmission & any other operating info that might be available. Pix show it as found in my neighbors back yard.
Thanks, Fred

Attachments

John Herald

Registered
Re: Old TOWMOTOR Forklift

I have one just about like it -- i'll look tomorrow and see what model it is -- I do have a book on it and opps manual -- john

OldironJeff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/27/2008

We have a couple models at work I believe 1953 and 1954.
We keep them around because they fit through small doors.
We my have some spare junkers out back.:shrug:
When we work on them we call it antique restoration.:crazy:

Sccars1949

Registered

Hi all who responded to orig question yrs ago. I just acquired a towmotor, model # 462SLP4024, serial # 462S6(or5)40357.
I can not find an id plate for engine. It is a LP powered 4 cyl flathead eng with a distributor in the center of the cyl head. Can anyone tell me age /year built & mfg of eng? The prev owner didn't have any info but said it needed timing gears. It has spark to plug & LP gas in cylinder but won't run. I need a manual for parts & repair procedures & parts source & any other help anyone can provide.
Thanks,
Bill

Bud Tierney

Registered

I've got one belt catalog that says 461 and 462S came with Cont F140, and another belt catalog that says they came with either the F140 or the Cont F162, both quite popular Ag/Ind etc engines (truck version is F4140 and F4162, PU versions are PF140 and PF162).
The dist up thru the head is a Cont characteristic; Cont was quite good at putting engine ID tags in difficult places, maybe impossible to see when buried in a forklift.
Sorry, don't know how to tell difference, but if nothing turns up here try a new post re ID'g the engine on the tractor forum. Believe parts for both still available thru NAPA or whoever in your area that deals in Ag/Ind eng parts.
Manuals (sponsors here??) any good tractor site (ytmag, ssb tractor etc), Ebay,etc. Don't know if regular engine manual might cover any special eqpmt Towmotor used; I recall seeing some for Hough installations, don't recall for Towmotor, but there's lots I don't know.
If parts not available locally, start with Garrad Moon at Monte's Eqpmt in Chicago, highly spoken of Cont obsolete parts dealer (montesequipment.com or garradmoon@montes@flash.net. Good luck.

MoRo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/15/2019

Towmotor was bought out by Cat. If there's a dealership in your area, they might be able to help. Look for the OLDEST partsman there,though.:O

John Schwiebert

Registered
The distributor comming out of the center of the head means it is an F model Continental. On the timing gears, different fork lift manufactures used different gears because of pump drives, etc. The difference in some is the material they are made out of. Send me a message and I can get you in touch with an 80 year gentleman who is still in the business and has parts new & used.

Sccars1949

Registered
I checked for id plate & found the upper rt corner of it only, the rest had corroded away. The cyl head had a stamped # F401A600 on machined flat area of rt frt corner. The only other info was an embossed "A" on each side of the block & also "CWC" on the manifold side. I called local Cat dlr & was told it was to old for them to look up, ie, it was to old to be in computer & didn't want to spend time to look up elsewhere. I called Montes & Gerry said he needed the eng id # or couldn't look anything up. Any one with any other info, suggestions please respond. I greatly appreciate it.
Bill

Sccars1949

Registered
I found the web site for P A Ross Equip on another thread in Smokatak. Spoke to Charles who was super helpful & gladly gave up the info I needed to id eng. It is a Continental F163 model per cross ref on # stamped into cyl head. Diff between 162 & 163 only in position of studs to mount fuel pump. Horizonal on mine & diagonal on 162. I ordered a manual from them also so hopefully I will soon be able to figure it out. Thanks to all who have provided info. Here is their website again:
http://www.parossmachinery.com/526745.html
Bill

John Schwiebert

Registered
Wait a minute here. The difference between a 162 & a 163 are a lot more than that fuel pump! Cranks, blocks, heads main bearings etc are all different.!

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
This thread started in 2007, and was last updated in 2009... five years ago...

I think your question would be better responded-to if posted under a new thread, with an applicable title.