• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Olsen & Rice

Mike in NC

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
05/13/2009
Ohlsson & Rice

Is there any way to date an Ohlsson & Rice engine? Model # is 215 and serial # is 925961. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Mac Leod

Registered
so far as I know no...I have a ohlson rice drillgine-I was told it was early 1960s...seems most of them are...same engine, muffler/carby...I think later the carby and muffler was changed over

Mac Leod

Mike in NC

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
05/13/2009
Re: Ohlsson & Rice

Thanks Mac!

Last edited:

Greg Downard

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/21/2008
Mike

Ohlsson & Rice , Inc. became a legal company June 1, 1946 as per the California Secretary of State. They were located in N. Hollywood, CA They built engines and equipment for the goverment until 1962 when they lost their goverment contract, moving to LA and began building for industrial use, home owners and modelers. According to some of the info I have they began production of the model #215 around 1968 and revised it in 1971. As close as I can tell from the service manuals, pre 1968 Ohlssons were Red and after 1968 were Yellow until they suspended their status with the SOS around 1972 when they became black. Not sure if they sold out, merged or what. The early Homelite 2 cycle was a very close copy of the Ohlsson & Rice.

This is what I have been able to make out of the information I have gotten. Hopefully one day I will find out more. I have done some extensive searching on manufacturing dates and come up with nothing other than the above.

Mike in NC

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
05/13/2009
Thank you! I have no clue about these things. A friend collects them, but does not do any research on them. He has a couple NOS ones in the box.

J

Juanmariani

I have an O R engine in a tiny tiger genset. I have the complete manuals, if u want i can scan it an send it to you via email. My engine was in a box in parts, i was complete, i have reassembled it but i cant make it start. Everething seems to be ok.

Heres my email an msn Juanmariani@hotmail.com

Please contact me

Juan From Argentina

Bud Forrer

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/22/2016
Gentlemen
I have a Book "Small Air Cooled Engines Service Manual (13th Edition) published by intertec publishing Co. copyright 1981 that has O&R listed under Advanced Engines Products formerly O&R engines. They have a Compact I,II,III, a 13a and a13b and a 20a. displacement on these engines goes from 1.26-2.0 address for Advanced Engine Products was 3340 Emery St. Los Angeles Ca 90023 (in 1981). I hope this helps.
Bud Forrer

J

joe strube

Re: Ohlsson & Rice

is there any way to date an ohlsson & rice engine? Model # is 215 and serial # is 925961. Thanks for any help.

where can you buy new rings for the o and r with the generator on it.

factory

Registered
Ohlsson & Rice

Is there any way to date an Ohlsson & Rice engine? Model # is 215 and serial # is 925961. Thanks for any help.
Engine #925591 was made in Feb 1969.

All serial numbers from June 1967 have the year & month coded into them, the format is YMSSSS or YMMSSSS, first number identifies the year, second (and third) number/s the month, the remaining four numbers are engine S/N which restarted at 0001 each month.

Earlier engines with serial numbers between 000000 & approx 142000 date from the early 1960's to June 1967, these are harder to give an estimate for the date, also some of the earliest engines don't have a serial number.

David

Last edited: