?? on ebay auction ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike O

Sponsor
Have you guys seen this auction on Ebay? # 3866497679 This engine was listed a couple of months ago or so, The pictures are the same pictures and the seller is a new seller with "0" feedbacks. I am kind of thinking this could be a scam

Mike Monnier

Hoarder
It does seem kind of shady. Not only are the pictures copied, but I believe the description is copied word for word as well. I wish the wankers running these scams would get a life!

Junkologist

Subscriber
I just saw the auction too and "scam" was the first thing that came to mind. The pics and the description are exactly the same as the other auction. The seller in the first auction was "pludge", who seems to be a reputable eBay seller. I would check with him first before bidding on the engine to see if he can give any info as to where the engine ended up. I can't remember if he had a reserve on his auction or if it even sold at all, but he could have sold it offline. The current auction has no reserve, which also seems suspect to me. If I had bought the engine several months ago and now had to get rid of it, I certainly would not risk losing my investment on such a high dollar engine. This may all be on the up and up, but it just looks fishy to me.

Mike

W

William

It could be that the new owner put it up for sale himself, and just used the same eBby ad that was used before, which takes less time.

William

I just emailed the owner some questions about the engine, we'll see what happens. Ebay said the owner is registered on another site and does not speak English???????????????

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
I just spoke with the previous owner's wife and we should get the scoop tonight about its current ownership.

Evidently, this stunt has been attempted before so buyer beware!

Incidentally, I left my first eBay NEGATIVE feedback today. I'm getting fed up with people who take 20 days to ship after a PayPal payment, use packing material from the garbage pail and then wait a total of 40 days after the auction to resolve an insurance claim. Lenient aren't I? PayPal and eBay are useless in situations like this!

John Hammink

In Memory Of
I just got this message from the original seller, I'm not the high bidder anymore. Thanks heaven :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dear XXXXX,

Buyer beware. This was an engine I ran last fall. This is most likely a fraud. This are my pictures. It is the fourth time they are being used to sell an engine they do not have. The person I sold it to is not dumb enough to sell this engine with no reserve. Please contact ebay as I will myself. Retract your bid now. I will help you in any way possible if I can please email me at "pludge "at" direcway.com"

Here is the reply I got back from owner thru ebay email. Hollo.I have this engine from my father, now, my father lives in U.K. and he put me to sell it. I dont know much things about it. Regards

Junkologist

Subscriber
Bruce Sutton said:
Here is the reply I got back from owner thru ebay email. Hollo.I have this engine from my father, now, my father lives in U.K. and he put me to sell it. I dont know much things about it. Regards

Looks real legit. I think not!!!

Mike

Doug Waggonner

Since were on ebay scams, has anyone heard what ever happened with Jon R's old engine catalog? The one where he sold it then it was almost instantly relisted by the high bidder before she ever payed Jon for it? word for word and picture for picture? :mad: I really can not see a solution to many of the internet scams. All they have to do is make up a new name and location each time, right? :eek: I like to think of us engine collectors as some what of a close knitt group. :confused: Maybe there could be some way of knowing who's who when bidding on engine related stuff on ebay. I dunno....just an idea. Doug Waggonner

Bill Decker

I e-mailed the following question.

Auction says you would be willing to ship. How would you prepare item for shipping? Thanks for your time.

This is the answer I got

Hello,

I will shipp it as "fragile" and with insurance on it.

There should be no problems.

There was a name on the e-mail, but don't know if I should post due to the possibility of the person being an innocent.

Steve Barr

I'm waiting to hear back....I work in the town next to where he lists that he lives....should be interesting.....Way too much fish out there...

E

Ed Laginess

Engine a Fraud on ebay

I appreciate the contact in regards to the Goerge Pohl for sale on ebay. This is the third time this engine has been listed after my sale ended. They usually run a 3- 5 day auction with no reserve. The seller has (0) Feedback. The first time they were from Texas. They ran it a week after my auction ended with a no sale.

I have contacted ebay and have only received a roundabout answer due to privacy issues. The auctions tends not to go past a day without ebay catching on to them. Ebay has ended this auction with no trace since I have talked with Harry.

Please let me know if it happens again. I will gladly contact the bidder and ebay. Whoever is doing this sure doesn't know about the engine community. Keep on talking and we can help ebay keep them honest. :eek:

GarysToys

I had this happen with a train that I wanted to bid on. I asked the seller to send me four new pictures of the train so I could see some details. When he
said he didn't have a digital camera I ask him to make a copy of the bottom and scan it in.

He didn't and I didn't.

Coolhand Luke

Doug Waggonner said:
Since were on ebay scams, has anyone heard what ever happened with Jon R's old engine catalog? The one where he sold it then it was almost instantly relisted by the high bidder before she ever payed Jon for it? word for word and picture for picture? :mad: I really can not see a solution to many of the internet scams. All they have to do is make up a new name and location each time, right? :eek: I like to think of us engine collectors as some what of a close knitt group. :confused: Maybe there could be some way of knowing who's who when bidding on engine related stuff on ebay. I dunno....just an idea. Doug Waggonner
Hi, I talked with Jon last Saturday. If he wants to tell the story, he will, that's his business and not my place to say. But I will say, that woman DID NOT get his book!! (Great news! and good to talk to ya, Jon)
Luke in Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.