• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE in your location!

Onan 4.0 cck intermittent no spark problem.

Martelli D

Registered
Hi, I’m having a problem with my generator.I recently changed points,condenser,and plugs.It was running good. Was using it during power outage and after about an hour it died like I hit kill switch.Checked spark at plugs and It gets one spark each time I hit start switch but nothing as I let it keep cranking.Replaced coil, still same thing . Opened control box and tested voltage at switch and relay and found no problem.Then I checked for spark again and it started working again. Ran it several more times (maybe 2 hours running time.Started it again today, it ran about ten minutes and shut down. I get one spark then nothing. I have 12 volts at points and at terminal posts on coil. If anybody has an idea I’d appreciate it.

squidtrap

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/08/2018
If you post the full model and serial number it will be easier to identify your generator. Oh yes, welcome to the stack.

Zephyr7

Registered
Kinda sounds like you have an intermittent/loose connection somewhere. I’d try the easy stuff first, check all electrical connections, disconnect and reconnect any fast on terminals to wipe oxides off.

It will help to have more info.

Bill

Billy J Shafer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/03/2019
Check the point rod. Those do wear to one side and when they rotate. It can kill the spark.

Martelli D

Registered
If you post the full model and serial number it will be easier to identify your generator. Oh yes, welcome to the stack.
. Thanks, the full model# is 4.0 cck-3CR /16000U serial # F77 232362.

Thank you to all who responded . I saw some posts on another similar thread about checking the points again. I re- gapped the points and I got spark again. It fired right up.Ran it for half hour and shut it down. Hope that was it, but I will keep your suggestions in mind if it dies again.Thanks again!