• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Onan 6.5 NHE-1R/26100C - New Owner Seeking Start Up Information

Zzeke

Registered
Uh oh....... Retreat! Retreeeeeeeat!

So, I decided to head out this evening and pull the starter, to see if it was operational and figger my next move.

Then I found this:

image001.jpg

Packed with mouse chooch. I decided that for tonight, I had lost and turned out the lights.

I was already planning to remove the genhead, but looks like I don't have a choice now.

I have already read the procedure from the service manual, but they really don't show you much. They talk about using a lifting plate which bolts to the end of the genhead.... I can make one of these, but what orientation should the generator be in? resting ont he exhaust fan shround so that you can use a chainfall to pull the genhead up?

I think one of you said to remove the brush block first. Other pointers if you can think of them would be helpful.

Zk

EDIT: Oh, it helps if you have all the pages in the generator service section. I was missing 2 critical pages.

Last edited:

Bent Trigger

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Nice, the fellas made sure they were gonna be warm.o_O I shot a mouse across the shop when i started a new motorcycle purchase, even when your a mouse you "Gotta Know Your Limitations", or just keep your head on a swivel!!😄 Hahahah!!!

AlanR

Registered
Uh oh....... Retreat! Retreeeeeeeat!

I have already read the procedure from the service manual, but they really don't show you much. They talk about using a lifting plate which bolts to the end of the genhead.... I can make one of these, but what orientation should the generator be in? resting ont he exhaust fan shround so that you can use a chainfall to pull the genhead up?

I think one of you said to remove the brush block first. Other pointers if you can think of them would be helpful.

Zk

EDIT: Oh, it helps if you have all the pages in the generator service section. I was missing 2 critical pages.
Post number 18 in this thread. And you don't really have to stand it on the fan end like the manual shows, just get the rear end blocked up high enough that the gen housing clears when you pull it. Lifting plate not required, but a plate that bolts to the end, and has a bolt centered on the rotor thrubolt that you can use to apply pressure, may help in getting the housing started moving (since the residents at the front end of the housing have probably done their bit to corrode it to the engine adapter).

Alan

Zzeke

Registered
Alan, thanks for the redirect. I had forgotten about it. Much clearer now that I have read the procedure a few times WITH ALL THE PAGES present. Funny how that works.

Have a universal puller coming....

A little clarification....

While removing the end bell, I can leave the transformer connected if I choose correct?

The wires from stator to transformer - they should be anchored away from snagging on the rotor correct?

I'm concerned with the sheer amount of mouse chooch packed in there - and stator wires being broken when removing end bell due to the obstruction.....

Then again, they could also have been chewed in half by the mice.

Can I assume the wires can be repaired so long as they're not broken off right next to the stator?

Should have tools and time at some point this weekend to give this a try.

Regards

ZK

AlanR

Registered
The transformer and associated wiring can stay as is, and will all come off with the generator housing. Mouse damage to wiring SHOULD probably be repairable, but no way to tell for sure. Good luck.

Alan

Zzeke

Registered
Thanks Alan. Will probably end up removing the stator for inspection, testing, and cleaning, but figured that JOB 1 is getting the end bell off to clean and assess the damage.

Can anyone recommend what I should use to clean the stator or rotor, should it be filthy enough it would require some sort of liquid solvent or other?

Anyone ever cover the end bells air passages with Stainless wire cloth to keep insects and rodents out? Given what I have found, was thinking of making some nice mesh covers to keep this from happening again.

Thank you all for your help. What a great resource!

ZK

len k

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/12/2018
Can anyone recommend what I should use to clean the stator or rotor, should it be filthy enough it would require some sort of liquid solvent or other?
I would not use any solvents, might damage the insulation.

I'ld be more concerned with ammonia in pee corroding things. Others have more experience but if I had to I'ld only use water and dish washing liquid soap and a tooth brush. Then flush it thoughtly with lots of water. Then you'll have to dry it, I like putting things like this on top of my oil furnace for ~ a week or 2, it';s convient. It's 100 degs there. Suppose you could go to higher temp maybe 140 deg for shorter time. (~ 4 days). I would not exceed insulation temperature rating, not sure what it is.
-----------------------
Anyone ever cover the end bells air passages with Stainless wire cloth to keep insects and rodents out? Given what I have found, was thinking of making some nice mesh covers to keep this from happening again.
IIRC mice can get thru hole the size of a nickle or was it a dime. so 1/4 inch mesh would be good th keep them out. Got to be carefull with bug screen, holes are so small that lint and dust might plug it up and overheat gen.

Last edited:

Zzeke

Registered
Thanks. Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Could probably dry it in my laundry / furnace room. It's a small space and gets pretty warm when the door is shut. Combined with a fan that should work.

Agreed on fine mesh. Would have to be really vigilant to keep clean. Also don't want to decrease the effective area while doing it.