• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Onan: Onan cck pressure cooled exhaust temps

YellowLister

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
o9/30/2019
Today I spent some time with my 4 kw contracters series cck..

After re-gaping the points it runs great..

I recently got a cheap thermal temp meter and was checking all the cylinder and exhaust temps..

My *little* 2.5 kw Kohler generator exhaust temps maxed out at about 530 degrees..

But the cck, after 15 minutes of run time with a 500 watt light got to 650 degrees..

I fine tuned the carb, running at 1870 rpm at 126 volts..

Wondering if anyone has checked a vac u cooled cck, or a pressure cooled set and what there temps were.. I checked my factory manual and no info about it..

Spark plugs are a little black...so not running lean

Head temp did not get above 220.

Its about 85 today..

Attachments

Last edited:

lokay5

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/11/2015
Today I spent some time with my 4 kw contracters series cck..

After re-gaping the points it runs great..

I recently got a cheap thermal temp meter and was checking all the cylinder and exhaust temps..

My *little* 2.5 kw Kohler generator exhaust temps maxed out at about 530 degrees..

But the cck, after 15 minutes of run time with a 500 watt light got to 650 degrees..

I fine tuned the carb, running at 1870 rpm at 126 volts..

Wondering if anyone has checked a vac u cooled cck, or a pressure cooled set and what there temps were.. I checked my factory manual and no info about it..

Spark plugs are a little black...so not running lean

Head temp did not get above 220.

Its about 85 today..
If the 'plugs are correct for the set and they're "a little black" the air/fuel mixture is too rich.

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2020
I would like to check the exhaust temps on my Devil's 5CCK, but I don't have the tool to check the temperature. I used to have one, but I can't find it. I used it last about 3-4 years ago. Most likely I lent it to a friend and never got it back and now it is long forgotten. At work we have an ultra precise imaging tool that will give accurate temperature reading with images that I could use, but for now until whenever most of us at the company I work for are on temporary leave due to the freakin covid-19 virus.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

HBSaunders

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Hmmmmm, Devil with the blue dress on, green with just a tint of blue. Pink Kitty, now Devil with a blue dress( Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels)

HBSaunders

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
My Mom is 92 at an independent living facility with many others in assisted, skilled care and memory care and varying degrees of other levels. Her mind is fine and she gets around very well but is stubborn and wants her way at this place. She insisted on having us pick her up and bringing her to eat Sunday dinner with us. I got a call from the facility saying it was ok for her to leave but she was originally told she couldn't leave. She was determined and since we took her back and had her temperature checked they said she was ok but then confined her to her room for 7 days. She called upset cause she can't even leave her room. She feeds the birds outside her window and has feeders and 6-8 inches deep feed piled up on the ground. The management calls her the bird lady. Now she's the bird lady of Alcatraz.i apologize for the hijack here, moms a Duke fan and the Mitch Ryder song is one of her favorites. It's their lead out song for Coach K's basketball team.

Last edited: