• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Onan DJB Glow Plugs Can't Find

bthom

Registered
Howdy Folks. I'm trying to locate two glow plugs for my 47 year old DJB generator. She still runs very well after an electrical panel and fuel injector pump refresh in 1984. The glow plugs were replaced at that time as well. It's time for two new glow plugs, but as they are obsolete I can't seem to find any. Even the Champion CH41's are no longer produced. All the other so called direct replacements are really not as the threads are the wrong size. The only glow plug I thought I had found (333-0106) at a marine shop in New York was actually mismarked in stock. So what to do? If anyone has a lead on these I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I guess it's time to retire the old girl and get a new generator. By the way my generator started it's life running lights on the Alaska pipeline in 1972. Onan built some good stuff. Thanks for the help.

Zephyr7

Registered
Howdy Folks. I'm trying to locate two glow plugs for my 47 year old DJB generator. She still runs very well after an electrical panel and fuel injector pump refresh in 1984. The glow plugs were replaced at that time as well. It's time for two new glow plugs, but as they are obsolete I can't seem to find any. Even the Champion CH41's are no longer produced. All the other so called direct replacements are really not as the threads are the wrong size. The only glow plug I thought I had found (333-0106) at a marine shop in New York was actually mismarked in stock. So what to do? If anyone has a lead on these I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I guess it's time to retire the old girl and get a new generator. By the way my generator started it's life running lights on the Alaska pipeline in 1972. Onan built some good stuff. Thanks for the help.
Try onanparts, a member of the forum here. There was also was just recently a lengthy thread about modifying current production gloplugs to use to replace some of the older ones that are unobtanium.

Bill

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
I haven't seen any DJx except the old military ones. Do they all come with intake heaters? Has anyone tried using intake heat alone to help start? There are retrofit intake heaters of all kinds if you do enough research.

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
I haven't seen any DJx except the old military ones. Do they all come with intake heaters? Has anyone tried using intake heat alone to help start? There are retrofit intake heaters of all kinds if you do enough research.
My DJB and DJC have what I think you mean as a preheater located at the top of the intake manifold by the air filter in addition to the glow plugs. They are completely different than the Champion CH41 glow plugs.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Eric.S

Registered
Think all the DJ's, MDJ's, RDJ's came with the intake heater.
On Onan MEP's it was an option, winterization Kit.
Older truck engines light up a diesel fed fire inside the intake manifold.
I have a "few" hand cranked Listers, '56 up to mid 70's, no heaters at all.
Last week, around freezing point, fired up a LR1, no problem.
In extreme cold i"ll remove the air filter and feed them heat with a propane torch.

Eric

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
So on a DJ, if you have no working glow plugs, can it start off the intake heater alone, was my question.

Some engines work this way, but you have to preheat a lot longer, like 1 minute or more.

BigBlockChev

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/06/2019
My experience is that it is very difficult to start a DJ x without working glowplugs. Maybe possible but not a good bet. The intake heaters are pretty much required as well, some sets have 2 intake heaters and 4 glowplugs , take 100+ A to light off . I think the sheer mass of cast iron in the heads takes lots of heat to get up to combustion temps. 60 secs of glow is necessary to start without a lot of sputtering. It always surprises me to start a Kubota or other set with 15-20 secs of glowing. Cheers Dan

trukinbear

Registered
My HDKAG's Kubota starts every time without the glow plugs... the starter circuit on my Inverter didn't have the option to pre-heat. It just starts... don't ask me how.

---------- Post added at 12:21:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19:31 PM ----------

And that is on chilled (outside tank) #2 home heating oil.

brianh

Registered
It amazes me that my wife's diesel Jetta starts at -10F with only about five seconds of preheat. The state of the art in diesel combustion chambers and glow plugs has definitely progressed.

But those old DJs are still crazy fuel efficient.

Brian

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
compression ratio plays a huge part, tractor trailer engines have 0 glow plugs no intake heater either. they do however have a block heater thats almost never needed, at least in the lower 48.