• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Onan LT II Transfer Switch JB 7.5

Jack Hottel

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Exact part is available from Allied, their stock # 70059714, $112.34.
Good luck,
Jack Hottel

JT240Z

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/14/2017
JohnnyC, is all that's needed to add the transfer and retransfer delays onto the LTII is to add the relays and switch the two switches?

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2020
Folks, thanks for all the information on the replacement. Sorry I have not replied in the past 2 days with followup. It has been very busy here and today (Saturday) is no exception. Got lots of house work to do and the "Boss" also has plans this evening for going out to dinner :( $$$ :( .... Hopefully on Sunday I will have time to relax, enjoy and do research as well as make a decision on the replacement relay.

JT240Z, I will get back to you with an answer in detail on your question on Sunday.

Ok, go to get work done before "playtime".

JohnnyC
New Jersey

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2020
JohnnyC, is all that's needed to add the transfer and retransfer delays onto the LTII is to add the relays and switch the two switches?
Yes, kind of. To best explain what I know, I copied and attached the LT II ATS's PC board pictorial and marked the time delay relays and in the second picture explains the function of each time delay relay. These relays are optional, but serve good purposes.

By the way, sorry it took two days to get back to you. Yesterday was a very bizarre day for me. The "Boss" asked a friend to deliver some fresh chicken. The friend truly did deliver 4 fresh chickens (see 3rd and 4th pictures below). These things are pooping all over the garage and don't know what to do with them. These things are attacking me too. We are not farmers.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Attachments

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Let 'em out in your yard so they can forage for food. Nothing better than FRESH eggs from chickens that aren't fed a diet of crap.

JT240Z

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/14/2017
Yes, kind of. To best explain what I know, I copied and attached the LT II ATS's PC board pictorial and marked the time delay relays and in the second picture explains the function of each time delay relay. These relays are optional, but serve good purposes.

By the way, sorry it took two days to get back to you. Yesterday was a very bizarre day for me. The "Boss" asked a friend to deliver some fresh chicken. The friend truly did deliver 4 fresh chickens (see 3rd and 4th pictures below). These things are pooping all over the garage and don't know what to do with them. These things are attacking me too. We are not farmers.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Here's a pic of the inside of my LTII TS:

As you can see, it looks like I have one the time delay relays but have open sockets for the other two. So, if I install the two missing relays and switch the two related switches to OFF, then their function will be established? Assuming I can do one at a time while I'm looking for the other at a reasonable price.

Those are truly some fresh chickens there. I like the idea of fresh eggs but it's more than just letting them loose. The wife and I have thought of doing it. They will produce more eggs than you will normally eat.

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2020
Here's a pic of the inside of my LTII TS:

As you can see, it looks like I have one the time delay relays but have open sockets for the other two. So, if I install the two missing relays and switch the two related switches to OFF, then their function will be established? Assuming I can do one at a time while I'm looking for the other at a reasonable price.

Those are truly some fresh chickens there. I like the idea of fresh eggs but it's more than just letting them loose. The wife and I have thought of doing it. They will produce more eggs than you will normally eat.
Actually you have 1 voltage sensing relay, not a time delay relay (see picture below). Unfortunately your ATS does not have any time delay relays, but if you did, it would function as noted in https://www.smokstak.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=294664&d=1509302043

As for the chickens, I think there is an ordinance prohibiting them in my town. As for the person that delivered the "fresh" chicken, wait until he asks for a big hamburger :eek:

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Attachments

JT240Z

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/14/2017
Interesting that the relays on my TS look very different from the ones on the diagram. Most of mine have no visible adjustment knob accept that one. I'll be looking more into it once I get a chance. Right now I'm busy building a storage shed to house the JC. That's going to keep me occupied for a little while.;)

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2020
Interesting that the relays on my TS look very different from the ones on the diagram. Most of mine have no visible adjustment knob accept that one. I'll be looking more into it once I get a chance. Right now I'm busy building a storage shed to house the JC. That's going to keep me occupied for a little while.;)
It appears that the diagram (which is from the manual) is showing all the optional time delay and voltage sensing relays installed. The smaller clear plastic covered relays are ordinary relays and when energized they will do their function immediately.

I had 2 other LT II ATS boxes from Onans I picked up in the past, but they were all beaten up when they were taken out of service. Before deep-6ing the box, I salvaged all the relays. I got 4 or 5 regular clear relays, and extra voltage sensing relay, and I could swear I had 1 or 2 extra time delay relays, but for some reason I can't find them!!! I know they will appear sometime in the future when I no longer need them - always seems to happen.

-- Ok, I got to step out for a while to feed the chickens and "play" in the garage.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2020
--- snip ---
I had 2 other LT II ATS boxes from Onans I picked up in the past, but they were all beaten up when they were taken out of service. Before deep-6ing the box, I salvaged all the relays. I got 4 or 5 regular clear relays, and extra voltage sensing relay, and I could swear I had 1 or 2 extra time delay relays, but for some reason I can't find them!!! I know they will appear sometime in the future when I no longer need them - always seems to happen.

-- Ok, I got to step out for a while to feed the chickens and "play" in the garage.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
JT240Z,

After feeding the chickens this afternoon I set out in an attempt to find the time delay relays that I thought I saved from an LT ats. After about 40 minutes I gave up. Those bright red time delay relays should stick out like a sore thumb.

After going back into my house, I was scratching my bald head wondering where did I put them? The a bright light with an idea went off in my brainless head ---> Since I take pictures of everything, I knew I had pictures of the long-tossed LT ats from several years ago. I quickly searched my picture archive and found several pictures.

Bad news :( - The switch did not have any time delay relays as seen in the picture below. It had 1 voltage sensing relay which I saved and installed in my current LT ats. The other 3 relays as seen in the picture are normal cube relays and 2 sockets are empty which I assume the bypass switches for these missing relays was set to "ON". This is the same setup that your LT ats came with.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Attachments

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2020
I just sent you a PM.

Let's try it this way.

https://www.marshbellofram.com/diversified-electronics/

click: Time Delay Relays
click: TDC TUC Series On-Delay Relay Output
click: Download Catalog

Your relay will be model TDC120AKB30M. The "30M" is a delay range of 18 seconds to 30 minutes.
Thanks Steve for the information. I am exploring all leads on these relays. I downloaded the catalog sheet and verified the model number to be correct and sent an email requesting a price quote.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

---------- Post added at 08:55:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50:02 PM ----------

Exact part is available from Allied, their stock # 70059714, $112.34.
Good luck,
Jack Hottel
Jack,
I downloaded the datasheet for the relay you recommended and will e reviewing the specs tonight.

Thanks,
JohnnyC
New Jersey

---------- Post added at 08:57:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55:16 PM ----------

Im sure you saw the 2 on flea bay NOS 1-60.00 1-75.00 no to bad shipping.
No, I did not see them. Maybe I am searching wrong. I did see them going for much more though..

Have any links on the $60 and $70 relays?

Thanks,
JohnnyC
New Jersey

squidtrap

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/08/2018
saw that also, crazy$$$$$ i think you could fab up one or at least Len or Loen being they are elec. engineers. not sayin anything bad Johnnie.

i searched onan time delay relay, FYI and many other versions.

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2020
Over the past several days I made a decision as to where I would place an order to replace my defective time delay relay with a new time relay at a reasonable price. These Onan time delay relays and similar can be found for HUNDREDS of dollars.

I chose to purchase off of Ebay. Squidtrap provided two links; One link is a direct replacement, and the second link is for a similar time delay relay with a different time value. By the time I made my decision the direct replacement relay was already sold out. Someone beat me to it :(. Knowing that the remaining time delay relay will work (I think), I decided to buy it since it was cheap ($60 - $75).

OK- Here is where it gets good!!!! I received the time delay relay in the mail today. The seller SCREWED UP!!! I am soooooo happy :). The seller accidently sent me the direct replacement relay that I really wanted. Who knows what the other buyer received (the relay I ordered??)... Anyway, I snapped a picture of the new relay next to the bad relay which I took apart. All numbers match each other.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Attachments

squidtrap

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/08/2018
glad to see you got one of the 2 i posted for ya.

and the one you really wanted. :O

JT240Z

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/14/2017
Johnny,

What do you plan on doing with the original relay? If you're not going to be using it, I would like to have it and see if it can be repaired. I have a fairly extensive electronics background and may be able to repair or duplicate the circuitry.