• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Onan Manuals Repository

preskitaz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Ok we now have a stable mirror for the files we all love so much. CLICK HERE
I was going to post in Twinslan down thread but it has been closed. Big shout out to Zeromedic for help getting the site up and running. It's not exactly 100% at this time but its close. If you have any issues or would like to add content contact either Zeromedic or myself.

Zeromedic

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/16/2019
Ok we now have a stable mirror for the files we all love so much. CLICK HERE
I was going to post in Twinslan down thread but it has been closed. Big shout out to Zeromedic for help getting the site up and running. It's not exactly 100% at this time but its close. If you have any issues or would like to add content contact either Zeromedic or myself.
Ok, things should be working 100% now.
"other gensets" and "Oem manuals" directories have been properly indexed.
They have also been moved to the bottom of the first index page.

Now I'm happy. Two places to find manuals again.

http://onan.xmsi.net/ (thanks farokh) http://www.skilledcrafting.com/onanfiles/ (thanks preskitaz).

I still keep checking to see if Doug Reeds original site -http://www.twinslan.net/~n0nas/manuals/onan/- might come back online. Also thanks to Kevin K for having already copied all these manuals to preskitaz's server.

Here is a link to Doug Reed's google drive. If you click on the upper right link for "list view" it works good.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6vbOfjGGHMVTDZmX19sb1FIN28

All I had to do was conjure up some index files.

Steve

Last edited:

armandh

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2010
Data loss can be catastrophic.
what is the total file volume?
the more people with copies the safer we all are.

Kevin K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
what is the total file volume?
A bit less than 4.5Gb. Not a lot by today's standards. It would be a good idea for the regular members on the Onan forum to archive their own copy. Just in case...

I think Mike has more manuals available. With two websites plus Doug's Google drive, I'm not sure how to sync between the repositories.

MBB

Registered
Dont know how I missed all the action. Just busy I guess. Thanks Preskitaz and Zeromedic an KevinK. As Kevin mentioned I have more manuals. Is this a mirrored copy of onanmxsmi ? How will we upload manuals and to whom and who will rename them. It will be nice to keep the integrity of the original file system (Naming Doug and I worked on. (Thanks Doug) If you notice we have multiple scanned versions of the same manual and Doug looked them over decided if we keep duplicates or not. Some are huge in size only and I was able to reduce, others are just better quality copies and some are newer versions of the same manual. I left this to Doug. Naming is a time consuming process.

It would be nice as manuals are updated on one site they automatically get updated to the other. This is over my head. Let me know how I can help. I am limited on time as I work full time but dont mind helping with the manuals. As mentioned I have lots more manuals and collected information.
Mike
MBB

Zeromedic

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/16/2019
Hi Mike,

Now I know who "mike" is and who did the work renaming all these manuals. (and Doug)

I have a copy of xmsi, but the Sep2017 mirror of twinslan that KevinK had several hundred more manuals so I created an index-html file for kevin's files. Both appear very similar bur not a straight copy.

On other computers and backup hd's I have my own original copies of the Onan server when it was left wide open a few years ago (fun fun), many parts books from Onan dealer Don Hilman's web site before he had to shut that down.

I also have at least 1 clone of Doug Reed's files besides the copy that Kevin supplied. The great thing about that is the descriptive file names. The originals from Onan only had the manual number as a file name, and the parts books from Hilman's had complete gibberish as file names.

I should have parts books from ghanners with manual numbers as file names.

I'm keeping a local copy of all this on my computer, and using ftp to mirror that to preskitaz's web server. Cloning 1 remote website to another is not something I can do easily.

I'm going to guess that at least 20 and maybe 100 or more members here have personal copies of most of these manuals. Used to be standard for people to ask for help and a regular would email them the manual they needed. twinslan spoiled us, hence my work for more than one server.

If manuals need adding to preskitaz's repository, point me at them and I will get it done. Slowly

Steve

Zeromedic

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/16/2019
And the beat goes on .. .. .. ..

What could be better than a bunch of Onan documentation?
Even more Onan documentation.

mbb is sending me more manuals, and they are being named and
added to the "new additions" directory at the top of preskitaz's repository.

If you find something there, and it goes away, it has been moved to the
main folder.

Thanks everyone.
Steve

Zeromedic

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/16/2019
Just merged about 90 new manuals into the main archive.

I'll also leave the new ones in the New Additions directory for a
couple days in case any other manual archive wants them.

If twinslan or farokh want a single zip of the new additions, just ask.

Glad to hear Doug Reed's original twinslan site is back up.
Too much time has passed for me to edit post 4 where his link
got disabled. Here it is again:

http://www.twinslan.net/~n0nas/manuals/onan/

Steve

farokh

Registered-II
What might be a better idea is to set up mirrors rather than separate sites. One site would be the "master" and the other sites would sync to it nightly or weekly (or whatever schedule).

That way every site would be the same without requiring people to upload to multiple locations.

It's fairly trivial to on unix/linux, and only slightly more complex on windows.

Thoughts?

preskitaz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Sounds like a great idea. I do know that my hosting service does provide 30 daily backups and free restore. Having mirrors would simplify updates and add redundancy.

Zeromedic

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/16/2019
This is almost too much fun.

Two large batches of manuals have been named and added to main.
First was 160 files, second was 170. 1310 Total manuals now.

Most of them are pretty boring (unless you need them).
But stuff from the 50's 60's is interesting reading. $3.00 pistons?
Also the old dc generator and turbine power manuals.

Farokh now has copies of everything on his xmsi site, and some things
I found on his site (propane manuals) have been copied to preskitaz' site.

Manuals are still coming in. Being added to "New Additions" on onanfiles,
and dropped directly to main page at xmsi. Big zip archives of new stuff are
also safe for n0nas if he wants them.

Steve

MBB

Registered
Received a manual From Billy yesterday. I just finished scanning it in full color. It is the CW Master Parts. The reason I copied it in color was I thought it was neat. Ed Sparks would have loved it. He was big on the CW's . The cover is simulated leather. It is about 63MB because its in color. I also scanned it in B/W and its about 5MB. Im sending them to Zeromedic to upload.

Here is the link to the color one until its uploaded.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1ifw2ryp94x03q/922-0011 Done.pdf?dl=0