• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Onan Option Codes

Leon N.

Registered
Ok Max. Thank you. Very interesting. I do not know how or why I associated the code 4703 with the generator outlet receptacle. Guess I misunderstood what I thought I heard or recalled from my discussion with Onan back in 1970. The information you provided in the emails will be printed out and use d as a handy reference when reading the Stak.

At least I can trust wha I am hearing from you this evening.

Thanks again.

Max Thompson

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
09/03/2019
At least I can trust what I am hearing from you this evening.
Do I interpret this to mean that most evenings you do not?:uhoh:

If I did send you the JB sections of the Master manual (if not, I can), you have much more information to use to help others "decode" their numbers. :D

Leon N.

Registered
Max last evening I had to turn the TV off. I could not believe what I was hearing. I never have such a problem with the conversations on the Stak. You can draw your own conclusions. You guys are great and the subject material on the Stak is very interesting to me. Thank you for the JB section of the Master manual. This information helps answer some questions about the Onan model numbers.

Onan Dan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/28/2020
TV ? I much rather watch this show on my computer called the smokstak very interesting with very skilled folks in there trade or profession you guys are great me I do not join in much I am just learning still thanks:):)

MBB

Registered
Big Block I chose to what you recommended in your post. Hopefully it will upload. I have and will keep the original but if others were able to add to or adjust the codes some how when people find a change on the build sheet that would be great. I compiled all these from looking up build sheets on different models. I didn't realize that they may not be the same or apply to other models. Thats why not all have a model number after them.
Mike

Ok just tried to upload an excel file and its not allowed. I will attach as a .pdf and see if anyone has another way to keep it posted and update it as necessary.

I can place an Excel version in Dropbox that people can grab if that would help.

Attachments

MBB

Registered
Just had an idea. Those who have been given build sheets. Look at your build sheets and the options I listed. If you find one that has not been listed post it or the unit it came from and I will update the master. Im sure there are a lot more codes but im sure not so many I cant keep up.

len k

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/12/2018
AS to what 4703 means I'll just take a guess that it was just an in-house short style number to id the basic "core" design of the gen. Easier to remember a 4 digit number than 6 or 8 digit one.

At work we used a 3 digit "spec number" to track basic unpackaged bare gyros. (gyros before all the options were added on to them. We shipped thousands of gyros per month, made tracking them easier. As complete package design changed we also had separate version numbers on the fully packaged gyros, but kept the same in-house 3 digit number on the internal bare gyro. So basically we had 2 version numbers, one on the basic bare gyro and another on the complete package. Maybe Onan did something similar.

Last edited:

ArodaPowerCo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/22/2019
Just had an idea. Those who have been given build sheets. Look at your build sheets and the options I listed. If you find one that has not been listed post it or the unit it came from and I will update the master. Im sure there are a lot more codes but im sure not so many I cant keep up.
I've got one. On my 6.3NHL build sheet...

Z223 -U.L. Listed

nothingbutdarts

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
08/15/2019
Leon, if you can get this list on page #1 to open, you can go to the section where "H" options are & it shows H177. I can only pull up the 1st page of the list but, I have the whole list printed out & in a folder. You have a few posts in this thread as well!