• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Ontario Walking Plow Manufacture's

casertractor

Subscriber
Looking for a list of smaller Manufactures of walking plows made in Ontario.I am familiar with a lot of them

Massey Harris Toronto (Weston),Woodstock,Brantford Ontario

Cockshutt Brantford ontario

Frost and Wood Smith Falls Ontario

Joseph fleury and Sons Aurora Ontario

Peter Hamilton Peterborough Ontario

David Maxwell St Mary's Ontario

What others?

G Willikers

Sponsor
Verity - Essex and Brantford.
Did the Deering Works (IHC) in Hamilton make ploughs? they seem to have made everything else?
Wilkinson Plow Co. - Toronto.
John Abell - Woodbridge.
J. O. Wisner, Son & Co. - Brantford.
Patterson Bros. - Richmond Hill.

I think you have nailed the Massey-Harris related ones Rick of Verity, Wisner and Patterson.
Was the Sawyer Massey horse drawn plow just for road construction use, or did they offer an farm version?

Malcolm.

G Willikers

Sponsor
Malcolm,
There was talk of the S-M one at the Ancaster Fair. I think it was determined it was for road use but by the sounds of it, it could have been used for brush breaking work in Western Canada. What do you think?
Not sure if the early Sawyer concerns made walking ploughs?

From memory I think I have only seen one over the years in Eastern Canada, they are certainly in the S-M road making machinery catalog, so I believe that's what their use was, but as you say no indication so far of the earlier Sawyer Companies making or selling a plow of any description.
Good thought as I am sure one would work on clearing brush and scrub out on the prairies.

Malcolm

G Willikers

Sponsor
There was an unusual walking plough at the Ancaster Fair. It had no markings and some of the experts looked it over but could form no conclusions as to manufacture. Some wondered if it was made locally as there was a company right in Ancaster, I think. Certainly, most every town in Ontario and Québec had foundries making farm implements back in the old days. Canada West and Canada East before 1867.

Matthew Wiard - Ancaster.
Wilson & Adams - Paris.
Samsons & Sons - St. Catherines.
Gideon Huntingdon - Norwich.
E. Wilmot - Kingston.

[QUOTE

Matthew Wiard - Ancaster.[/QUOTE]

I find this name interesting Rick, I wonder if he was any relation to the Wiard Plow Company in New York?, they made a huge range of plows and tillage equipment and eventually were bought out by Massey-Harris.

Malcolm.

G Willikers

Sponsor
Malcolm,
It seems certain it was the same family. I found that Thomas Wiard had several sons, all of them in the plough business.
Son William made ploughs in East Rush, NY and then moved to Ancaster, Upper Canada and was making ploughs as early as 1820, said to be the first cast iron ploughs made here. I have a note that they were still making ploughs in the late 1840s. Upper Canada would have been Canada West at this point (Ontario in 1867).
William had a brother Matthew who is best known in New York state making ploughs and implements: but there is a Matthew Wiard manufacturing various farm implements including ploughs, seed drills, horse powers, etc, in Ancaster at least in 1860. So this may have been another generation Matthew?
It appears as if the Wiards moved freely between the Province of Canada and the United States in the 1800s and made farm machinery on both sides.
More study is necessary!
Cheers,
RM
PS - Is it pronounced Wee-ard or Wye-ard?

Last edited:

Mike Unwin

Subscriber
I just downloaded a 1920 T. Eaton,s catalog while you can have the whole thing you can not extract a single page ,not sure why but on page 557 there is a section on plows.All are Canadian made also feed grinders on page 561 while there were the old wood washeing machines on 541. I was happy to see my Stover Model Y 2 hp with a Eaton,s tag on page 567 for only $132.50 ! Lots to see large download about 140 meg but very interesting and informative also the Canadian Blower and Forge grinder I got was there for $8.25 many different plows and implements to see .Cheers Mike

Jeff Blaney

Subscriber
Where did you download the Eaton's catalogue Mike? I have a walking plough (The Daisy #2) which I believe may have been manufactured and branded by a plough company specifically for Eaton's or some other department store?

I am not sure if it was made locally, but I purchased it locally. I've never seen another one like it. I will post a picture.

G Willikers;1322065) PS - Is it pronounced Wee-ard or Wye-ard?[/QUOTE said:
From across the pond here in rural Lincolnshire it would be "Wye -ard" for me Rick, but you don't have to travel far for things to be different, even in the same country!!

Thank you very much for the additional piece of Wiard family history both in Canada and the US, Batavia must of been a hive of activity in those days.

Malcolm.

casertractor

Subscriber
Where did you download the Eaton's catalogue Mike? I have a walking plough (The Daisy #2) which I believe may have been manufactured and branded by a plough company specifically for Eaton's or some other department store?

I am not sure if it was made locally, but I purchased it locally. I've never seen another one like it. I will post a picture.

Please post pictures Jeff.I would be interested in seeing your plow

David Hoover

Subscriber
I think the Alliston foundry (knight - Wilson, Mercer)may have built plows. Years ago possibly at the plowing match there was a list of Ontario plow makers from the early days, I remember it looked like every civilized county had at one time a foundry making their own plows. There was a lot of them. Time someone republished an accurate list. Good reading. https://books.google.ca/books?id=X4tOAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA224&lpg=PA224&dq=sulky+plow+made+in+alliston+ontario&source=bl&ots=3E5kyJidrs&sig=oGGoYeAny-ACO-buLx_DpkOBtyM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwibpYOJ3avQAhUBU2MKHcOCCusQ6AEINzAF#v=onepage&q&f=false. If you take the time to go through all that info on that link, you'll find some very interesting stuff. Best plows, traction engines, portable engines, threshers etc for the year 1886. All Canadian built with no imports. It praises the ability of the Ontario manufacturers for developing quality stuff. Mentions how impressed the judges were with a Joseph Hall traction engine that was at the event. Hard to imagine that 40 years after that steam would be pretty much done!

Last edited:

David Hoover

Subscriber
The plow side of Sawyer Massey may have come more from Hart Massey's involvement. There's mention that Sawyer and Massey products were sold side by side at the early trade show days. That road plow is a man killer, it's at least twice as heavy as a walking plow and works better with two guys trying to hold it. It might make a good walking plow for a sturdy Hutterite lady .