• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Opening a Harris regulator

Rasper

Registered
My Harris model 94 regulators need new valve seats. I can't get them apart. I have applied as much force as I dare with a pipe wrench with a piece of inch and a half iron pipe extending the handle. I have tapped on the threaded section with a hammer and have soaked them for two days in vinegar to dissolve carbonates or whatever on the threads. I am thinking about boiling them in water and then plunging them in ice water repeatedly.

I want to fix these regulators. The new hundred-dollar regulators available are semi-junk, and the good ones are very expensive. These old Harris regulators are solid and dependable.

Any ideas as to how I can get these things apart without damaging them.

Richard

Rasper

Registered
I still haven't opened the Harris regulators, but I found a great place to buy welding supplies. https://store.cyberweld.com
I bought two Smith regulators for $186.00. Quality stuff for about half of what other places are selling them for. Now I can take my time with the old Harris regulators.

Richard