• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Osgood Model 200

9 hp Alamo

Registered
I recently bought a 1944 Osgood Model 200 Dragline equipped with a 30' General boom, and a 1/2 yard bucket. It also appears to have the extra clutch and sprocket for a scoop shovel, but who knows whatever happened to that. It was re-powered with a GMC V-6 before the current owner's dad acquired it. He bought it down around Ohio/Indiana area and had it shipped up. The dad passed a couple years ago. I stopped and inquired on it this past week and hashed out a price. I got it to run, figured out the controls, and got everything to work except for the ground drive. However, I'm pretty sure it's froze down, so I didn't try too hard.
I'll just have to wait until spring to get it home, but in the mean time I'd like to find a manual for it. Does anyone have or know of a manual (parts, operators, etc.) either original or reprint for this model of crane? I would think that any manual for that model crane, dragline, or shovel would work. Also, does anyone have an idea of its weight? It claims a 5 ton capacity on the tag, so I'm guessing between 15,000 and 20,000 lbs? Thanks!

Last edited:

Combustor

Registered
Hello 9 hp,
Interesting project you have there. Never met an Osgood, but if it has 30ft boom and 1/2 cu. Yd bucket it comes
into the same class as machines uch as the Bucyrus Erie 15B and similar clones. The "15" suggests a working weight of
about 15 long tons or about 33,600 pounds. Draglines and cranes often had extra counterweight added for stability.
Someone here may be able to give you a more accurate fix on its working weight. Will follow the project with interest.
Regards,Combustor.

9 hp Alamo

Registered
Draglines and cranes often had extra counterweight added for stability.
It's interesting that you mention and extra counterweight. The owner was telling me that his dad was dredging the pond (without draining it; that might've had something to do with it too, but) there was an empty beer bottle kicking around the cab and somehow prevented him from releasing the hoist brake, and he tipped it into the pond. He got it out the same day, and it didn't do much more than mess up the cab where the boom pressed into it (I see tin-work in my future). After that episode he added an extra weight off of a county truck.
If I'm correct in my assumption that the machine started life off as a shovel due to the presence of that extra clutch, it's possible it didn't have the extra weighting it need for heavy dragline work. I would think that wet pond silt in a solid bucket would be all that poor old machine wanted to lift anyway.