Paint Remover/ Degreaser

Hubbie

I've been working on the front axle and frame of my restoration project. Trying to remove 90 years of grease and old paint has been a real challenge. After a lot of hard work and little progress, I called it a night. I had to stop at the store while at work and on the way to check out I found the answer, easy off oven cleaner. After getting home a giving the frame a quick spray and about 2 hours of waiting, I grabbed a paper rag and wiped and all the paint and greasy mess way gone. Definitely a labor saver. It's been great.
Has anyone else tried this?

Big Bird

Subscriber
I have used ez-off in the yellow can to remove custom painted lettering from the sides of vans for years while detailing for whole sale car dealer's. The Blue can doesn't work as well...
And Ez-off Will not harm factory paint, make sure to use cemical gloves or it will soften up your fingernails and turn them yellow.. ask me how I Know....:bonk:

Troll

Subscriber
Purchase pounds of Sodium Hydroxite Pellets, (Lye, food grade) and using very hot water mix the pellets into the water until it smells like old Lye soap your grandma used to use. Then add a little more. Use corn starch to thicken the mixure to a slightly runny, (sagging when applied vertical) texture and spray it through a cheap automotive spray gun with a large fluid tip onto the surface needing cleaned. Wear protective clothing for sure. The hotter the temperature, the faster the cleaning. I heat it up with a side burner from a former propane grille.

If you spray on bare aluminum don't let it dwell as the Lye destroys aluminum rapidly.

The cost if mixing yourself is about 10% of what the "Easy-Off" will cost for the same amount of cleaning.

Ken Majeski

Subscriber
I find that the New Easy Off is not as good as it was 20 years ago. Hard to buy anything any good any more :rant:

Can't get LYE any more as they think your going to make drugs.

Troll

Subscriber
I find that the New Easy Off is not as good as it was 20 years ago. Hard to buy anything any good any more :rant:

Can't get LYE any more as they think your going to make drugs.
I have no problems acquiring sodium hydroxite. Whether it's 10#, or 2500#. It's the main ingredient and referred to as "Caustic Soda". Does a really good job on anything ferrous in nature.

fumo

Subscriber
Hubbie, try Kleanstrip aircraft paint remover from eastwood .com. It's made for aluminum. :wave: