• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Painting Magnesium

oologahan

Registered
I'd like to find a hard durable paint that will adhere well and not chip off my older magnesium chainsaw bodies. I've been cleaning them with a solution of TSP, Sodium bicarbonate and 7th generation (sudsless) washing powder, after air drying I use a self etching spray primer followed by a sandable primer to smooth the imperfections. I have used an spray gun using alkyd with a hardner and reducer, an automotive acrylic, no hardner and a spray can rust oleum with a spray can epoxy top coat. So far I am not real happy with any results as to durability and hardness. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

cobbadog

Registered
Try automotive 2pac paint. It is best when using any paints that you use the whole system from etch, primer to top coats that are designed to work together. Try not to cross use different brand paints together. If using 2pac always allow a couple of weeks to get it hardened up. It is not bullet proof but tis about the best you can get for home use.
Toughest paints I had seen is what they use on aircraft. Again an epoxy paint with hardener and temp extremes that make it so tough to being chip proof.

Jim McIntyre

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Quite a few years back, I repainted a Land Rover (Aluminum body) and used DuPont Variprime Self-Etching primer. I was very happy with the result - never saw a hint of chipping or flaking...

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
Variprime Self-Etching primer.
Is the sh!t but expensive! the best thing i have found and a seasoned painter confirmed it, rustoleum. you cant go by the mixing directions on the can either, mix it just thin enough to get it to go thru the gun and "flow". if you mix it by the directions it is to thick and will not flow thus getting a sandpaper texture finish! too thin and it starts to run and dry too quick. get it to where it will flow and roll with it, may take days to fully dry to where you can handle it. That my friend is the cure to chip resistance! needs to cure slowly!

cobbadog

Registered
My one and only issue with Rustoleum has been that the gloss black which I used a fair bit of during the restoration of a tractor was that the gloss went off in about 12 months, not as good as when it was applied. this was the pressure pack can one (rattle cans as you guys call them). I don't know if the paint you buy in bulk 2litre or 4 litre is any better but would be interested to find out.
Something you can do as well when mixing your own paint to the consistency to suit your spray gun is you can add a hardener as well.

Charley K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/09/2019
My one and only issue with Rustoleum has been that the gloss black which I used a fair bit of during the restoration of a tractor was that the gloss went off in about 12 months, not as good as when it was applied. this was the pressure pack can one (rattle cans as you guys call them). I don't know if the paint you buy in bulk 2litre or 4 litre is any better but would be interested to find out.
Something you can do as well when mixing your own paint to the consistency to suit your spray gun is you can add a hardener as well.
I like the hardener in about everything. It makes the tractor paint, rustoleum, ect shine like new money. Also helps it hold the shine. If you put urethane hardener in the base of bccc it will act like single stage urethane. I paint all my silver color stuff with it. You can add a little clear for UV protection. Works great on rims. The silver base toner small flake works best, nothing but the toner and the above hardener and a little clear if you want. CK