• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Palmer Model B Stationary Two Cycle

PaulGray

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/24/2019
I picked this one up a little over a year ago. It’s a Palmer model B stationary on a pump jack base. She is getting a complete overhaul with new bearings and flywheel. Flywheel had two cracked spokes so a new one was recast and machined. Bearings were all toast so I made a mold to pour Babbitt shells. The crank center rod journal was reground to clean up and new bearing shells made. All the ignitor linkages have been remade. Bore is in good shape, but sourcing the 7/16 x 3.5” rings was problematic. Otto gas engine works to the rescue here with 1/2 x 3.5” rings which were cut down to 7/16. What I’m needing is a good scan of the tag to make a new one on the CNC engraver. Anyone able to help? Hoping to finish it for the summer show season..... more progress posted as it develops.

Attachments

PaulGray

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/24/2019
Re: Palmer Model B stationary two cycle

One of the feet on the base was missing so here is how a pattern for a new one was made. First, splash the opposite corner foot with Bondo. Second, position the splash over the broken foot. Third, fill in the splash with more Bondo....pattern done. Oh, don’t forget to put vasoline on the mating surfaces!.

Attachments

IronworkerFXR

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/06/2020

Nice work, I live about 1/2 mile from where the old factory was .

mikeinct

Registered

I have two of the b models,two c , one d. Give me a call. Mike. 860 490 0114

PaulGray

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/24/2019

More progress... Many hours getting the bearings fit and was able to assemble the crankcase and start on the ignitor linkage. Had to replace the pinion gear for the pump jack which as a simple 6DP x 12 tooth. Got that off the shelf from Martin Sprocket...60 bucks shipped to the house....could not have even close to making it for that time I bought the involute cutter. All I had to do was bore the ID from 1” to 1-1/8”.

Attachments

PaulGray

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/24/2019

Forgot this one...making the con rod lower bearing. I cast up a Babbitt blank and then affixed it to an expandable arbor. Outside surfaces cut then put in the lathe to cut the ID. After that, cut in half with 0.020 slitting saw. In the previous post are two brass screws on the rod cap which poke into the outside of the bearing to keep it from turning.

Attachments

PaulGray

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/24/2019

Today’s progress was to braze the recast foot onto the base using silicon bronze. I watched several videos and some recommended aluminum bronze while others hawked silicon bronze. I tried the aluminum first but it was difficult to get it to flow. I ran AC, heavy on the cleaning waveform and about 120 amps with the silicon bronze. The trick was to pre-wet the cast iron with the bronze, grind most of it off and braze proper.. Still, it was difficult on the old iron, lots of junk in the weld pool, lots more grinding and wire brushing. For my first time, I was pleased how it turned out. Looks to be a solid repair which is cosmetically OK.

Attachments

PaulGray

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/24/2019

Got it together for a family shot today. It turns over easily so all the time I spent on the bearings paid off. I also took like thirty thou off the back side of the rings to reduce the drag on the three 3-1/2x7/16 wide rings. Normally the pump jack would circulate water through the block, so for now we’ll try thermo-siphon. Still need to make a few more bolts and fit the keys in the flywheel. Compression seems decent and the ignitor trips AOK.

Attachments

Flyerboy

Registered

Do you happen to know where I can get a useable ZR Palmer head?
Thanks, Mike