• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Paperwood Pulleys

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
I know there are companies that rebuild these but has anyone done their own? Seems like if there was a way to fabricate the many layers needed out of something it could be done. Just curious.
I just got done reading the history of the Rockwood company and saw that they were actually bought out by the current paper pulleys company, interesting read. Looks like for afety reasons a guy should really go with them on rebuilding a paperwood pulley.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Re: Paperwood pulleys.

I believe that the paper pulley co is the same outfit as Rockwood. The employees of the pulley division bought out their division and separated from the big corporate main co., as the head management decided to close out that somewhat obsolete technology division. Likely, if we want that group to survive for the future help in our hobby, we should keep them busy with our patronage.

gasenginerick

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/14/2016

I had two custome pulleys made by Paper Pulleys inc from Tennessee, I was very happy with them.

Andy Williams

Registered

good to see they are still in business. i guess one could be made from layers of plywood glued and then turned in a wood lathe. I never done it but it looks it would work

Gene Williams

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/15/2019
We had paper pulleys do one for our 20-40 Case. We were in a hurry and needed it now. They delivered and it fit as well as if Case would have sold it in 1918. It was perfect bolts holes matched our hub and everything (they did not have our hub).

JFred

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2014
We had paper pulleys do one for our 20-40 Case. We were in a hurry and needed it now. They delivered and it fit as well as if Case would have sold it in 1918. It was perfect bolts holes matched our hub and everything (they did not have our hub).
Are you saying that they already had one in stock for your model case?

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
I believe they still have the old original patterns for most applications.

Alan Svanes

Registered
I have a friend that have made a couple of pulleys out of hardboard and I trued them up on the lathe. If I remember it took more than a 4x8 sheet to do a 16 inch pulley.
Alan

Avery22x36

Registered
Would be interesting to see how they made them, before I knew you could order them new, I was going to take masonite and use Gorilla Glue and an 80 ton press to make a cube and then lathe it down.