• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Paralleling Honda EU Generators

StringJ

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
The Honda EU series of inverter generators can be paralleled together to increase their current capacity. Honda states to only parallel two identical generators. Others have claimed to parallel any size of the EU generators and up to three at a time. I purchased a three generator parallel kit and decided to see for myself. I have a 10,000 watt load bank and some EU generators in the 1000, 2000, and 3000 watt sizes. I have used the load bank before and I am familiar with its use. I was not prepared for the anomalies I encountered and I am hoping someone can shed some light on the why this occurred.

I connected the generators together using the parallel kit. Others have stated it doesn’t matter which of the hot and neutral wires goes where. I made sure that hot went to hot and neutral went to neutral. The ground was on a separate three prong plug and was plugged into the front of each generator. I have three clamp meters, two Flukes and a Mastech, and I placed one on the hot wire of each generator. I started the generators and noticed the first anomaly. All the clamp meters showed current with no load applied. After connecting the generators to the load bank and applying a load, I noticed the current meter on the load bank was reading more load than I was supplying. At a 20 amp load the load bank amp meter was showing approx. 28 amps and when applying a 25 amp load the meter was showing almost 40 amps.

As shown below, when applying a load from the load bank, the clamp meters showed realistic readings. I proved to myself that multiple, different sized Honda EU generators can be paralleled together; that the order of starting the generators doesn’t really matter; and, in this case, that the Honda EU2000i tries to carry the majority of the load. I am still perplexed as to the problems encountered.

Jerry

Attachments