• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Parts for a 4 HP IHC Famous?

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
And so it begins yet again! I just picked up the remains of a 1913 4 HP Hopper cooled throttling governor Famous. It's easier to tell you what's there than not-flywheels and crank, base, and block. There's also the small brass eccentric and maybe part of the push for. Surprisingly enough the brass tag is still there, SN RC 322 E. Just enough to look like an engine, but I have always liked the looks of a Famous engine so I am madly in love with this big hunk of iron!

I have heard a few people build some parts for these engines, just curious who all builds what or who might have some original parts for sale? Basically I need about everything-I figure the head, piston and Rod and carb might be the hardest pieces to find.

Any and all leads appreciated!
Thanks,
Mike M

Edgar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2019
be a great looking and running engine mike when you get it put back together!!!edgar

Chris Wheeler

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Just some warning. It will be expensive to get parts. A complete running engine is cheaper in the long run. Unless it is special or has sentimental value. I do have a bunch of parts for that model if you want to pursue it.

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
Here's some pics of the old girl. I picked it up reasonable enough I can afford to put some money into parts. Call me crazy, but I like basket cases!

Attachments

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
I guess we can now say the restoration is underway; a friend has offered to bore and sleeve the engine for me. The carcass was delivered to his place weekend before last, and today he started the year down:

Attachments

Last edited:

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2019
I hope your saving the whole press, too many things like this get tossed.
Would be a very involved project to fix it all but worth it

CODY K

Registered
These are the restorations I like to keep following up on. Its so neat to see the progress on something like this. Also neat to see other peoples process of repairing things!

Chuck Foster

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/04/2011
Looks kind of like what my dad and I started with about 7 or 8 years ago, we fabricated all the parts we needed. It was a lot of work but that's what this hobby is all about. :D

Good luck with your restoration and if I can be of any help let me know.

chuck

Attachments

Mike McKnight

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2020
looks kind of like what my dad and i started with about 7 or 8 years ago , we fabricated all the parts we needed . it was a lot of work but that's what this hobby is all about :D

good luck with your restoration and if i can be of any help let me know.

chuck
Chuck,
I did dig up your old thread, ya'll made an impressive amount of parts for your engine! Yours looks a LOT like what I'm starting with, you just had a few more small pieces than me, not much!

Thanks,
Mike

BTW-took a close look at your serial number, our engines are only three serial numbers apart. Wild, huh???