• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Pattern Making

J

Jonathan

I am going to be attempting to make a pattern for a flywheel to get cast, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to go about making the spokes that oval/oblong shape. I've never done anything much with patterns before so this is going to be a bit of an adventure.

Any help you guys can offer would be great.

(The flywheel is going have a 14-15" diameter if that helps.

Thanks

Jonathan

R

Roland Finkenbinder

Jonathan, I made a pattern for a 1 1/2hp Messinger engine, but these are a very easy pattern , because of the almost square edges on the rim and the flat spokes. I started with a piece of 1/4" plywood and built out on both sides with pine. I made a tilted table with a center pivot the size of the core print and rotated it on an overhead router . The spokes were hand routed before the rim was added. What are you making this wheel for? If you need more info contact me. ---Roland

P

Paul Gray

I made a pattern for an 8" Rider-Ericsson flywheel.You can see the pictures at the link below. I made mine out of plywood and bondo. Came out real nice- took a lot of time though

Flywheel and other patterns

C

Christopher Winslow

I am interested to see the page - but the link doesn't work for me.

D

Dale Russell (KS)

Doesn't work for me either, Dale in S.E. Ks.

B

Brian Triebner

Delete everything in the address after pgray/ That worked for me. Brian