• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Paul Water Systems Well Pump Questions

Colin583

Registered
Hey Everyone,
I recently picked up this old Paul Water Systems Well Pump. ( Picture of data tag attached) I know this isn't exactly engine related, but I figured this site was my best bet of getting information about this thing.

Here are my questions:
-Anyone know the age of this thing?
-Does there need to be oil in the main pump body? (If so, how much?)
-Is the motor original?

Any other information is appreciated as well!

Here is a link to some pictures:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2JXdyvFfWK3Ti1Dj7

Thanks,
Colin

Attachments

Colin583

Registered
So I pulled it apart today and found a very interesting homemade motor adapter plate, so the motor is definitely not original. Ohh well...

If anyone has any info on this thing or answers to the other questions, please let me know!

Thanks,
Colin

gootsch

Registered
It looks like a Paul single action water pump unlike a Myers pump which are double action. The crank cases usually are fulled with 30 weight oil.

Colin583

Registered
I would not put much more oil in than about up to the bottom of the crankshaft as it exits the case as these old pumps often did not have much if any seals on the crankshaft.
Ok thanks! Any idea of the age of this thing?
-Colin

gootsch

Registered
With a flat belt drive I would say previous to WW II. The motor may have a dating code on it. I know that the motor may not be original but it is certainly not newer than the 1950's.