PayPal Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Decker

Thanks to all who responded. After reading that paypalsucks.com site, it kind of gave me second thoughts. But, on the other hand, it seems like only a select few individuals have had problems. Maybe I'll look into it a little further and kick it around some. Thanks again.

Bill in unseasonably warm N.J.

Keith Smigle

Bill~

I don't know if any of the material on the PayPal sucks site is dated, but I remember looking at it about 3 years ago when PayPal was new and as with any thing it wasn't flawless. PayPal has since been bought out by eBay because it worked so much better than Billpoint did. I doubt that the problems of the PayPal Sucks site are all that accurate. Just like any news, it is always the bad news that makes the print or in this case the web.

~Keith in Delaware, oHIo

G

George & Helen Myers

I'm sure that there are many more on this site that use PayPal and have had no problems. I have used it to the extent that we have had to become verified, which means that you have to give a bank account ID to them. I do not use the bank account. I still use my credit card and intend to continue with the credit card. One is very foolish if one does not check his/her credit card and bank balances online on a regular schedule to make sure nothing is amiss. PayPal saves you postage, check and money order fees plus it puts the merchandise in your hands two weeks faster. And if you use Discover, you get that kickback. More $s for iron.

Don't forget you can also contribute to keeping this site up and running thru PayPal....Helen

C

Craig Anderson

Don't pay ANY attention to those "thissucks" "thatsucks" dot com crap. There is a "sucks" site for almost every product in existance and there are plenty people who bitch too.....about EVERYTHING! Odd there isn't a "buttered my toast on the wrong side" dot com. The internet is a strange and stupid place sometimes!!! Thanks God for Harry's for all us "normal" people. Craig

B

Bill Decker

It appears that the people on that site who have had problems are sellers who have been paid with a stolen credit card or a fraudulent account. If I were to use Paypal it would only be to purchase items. Is a bank account needed for just purchasing with a credit card?

G

George & Helen Myers

If I understood it correctly you must become "verified" when you have charged $2000 to your credit card. After we gave them the Bank ID, my next purchase appeared as those it would be a bank transfer, which I didn't want. I found you have an option to charge it to your credit card. At first I was quite alarmed because I do not want electronic checks drawn on the account. I used an account which has been "almost" stagnant since I retired 13 years ago.

Any "skeptic" contemplating joining PayPal should first go to paypal.com and look at help. It is very detailed and confusing but I do not think they are about to STEAL YOU BLIND.

As I said in my earlier post, look at your account balances on the NET even if you do no electronic transferring. Remember your statements only arrive via snail mail once a month.....Helen

B

BobRR

I will not give them a bank account!! I gave them a credit card with a low max.The card still works for purchases. With out the bank acount no one can send you money. They use to send me a notice once in a while asking to get verified but havent received one in awhile.(I dont think I have reached the 2000.00 limit) BobRR

B

Bill Decker

Thanks to all who responded. My fears have been eased somewhat by the responses. I may signup sometime after the Holidays for a personel account. Only interested in buying at this point.

Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year

P

Patrick Marsh

Here is my small paypal horror story: I was the high bidder on a telephone with a headphone jack on ebay. I paid via paypal with a credit card (MINE NOT STOLEN). A phone came in the mail a few days later, it was a much cheaper phone with NO headphone jack. I contacted the seller (commercial seller, sells 1000's of items) I was told that I would not be receiving the phone I had won the bid on because It was a $100 phone and my high bid was only $43 (no reserve auction). I contacted my credit card company and was told by them to return the phone, so I did. The seller refused to accept delivery, the phone came back to me (now I have paid shipping twice once for the purchase and once for the return). I contacted my card company again and they refunded my money. Now paypal steps in freezes my account and tells me I have to return the phone at my expense in order to unfreeze. Well I told them the story of the seller refusing to accept the phone and they told me to ship it to them. Well I told them that I would need a prepaid shipping tag as I had already paid twice to ship the phone and I was not going to pay shipping a third time. Well they won't pay to have the phone shipped so my account is still frozen, the phone is sitting here all boxed and ready to ship. It has been 2 years. I contact them (paypal) periodicity and they still refuse to unfreeze my account. My advice: use Western Union bidpay!

F

Franz

You might want to contact PayPal again, and suggest that since they are now a US company, subject to the laws of California it would really be more cost effective for them to unfreeze your account than it will be to respond to the complaint you will file with the Cal Attorney General. Also remind them that the Uniform Commercial Code they are subject to defines delivery as "available for pickup" and they can stop by to pick the phone up. They can also issue a UPS call tag cause you're feeling generous.

C

Craig Anderson

Patrick fails to mention at WHICH auction site the phone was purchased. eBay has (supposed to, anyway) remedies for these situations as I would think ALL on-line auctions would. Whether or not the payment was through PayPal doesn't change the fact that, under the mentioned conditions, any method of payment would have resulted with the same consequences. It is NOT the job of the credit card issuer or processor to guarantee a sale of any sort, only to guarantee PAYMENT. That said, one of my credit cards was hacked TWICE (I think it happened when egghead.com got hacked) and one time my card was hacked to the tune of $1800 or so I think. I called my card company, told them these were not MY charges, got refunded immediately, filled out an affidavit and that was that. Wouldn't have minded having the 2 IBM Notebook computers they bought!!!! Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.