• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

PayPal

Al Wait

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/21/2014
As some of you may remember, I have trash-talked and sneered against paypal for years. This spring I gave into my friends who all told me how wonderful it is, and signed up. I am pleased to say that I was right all along! After three days of not being able to log in, and not receiving the e-mails and phone calls that they faithfully promised to make, I told them to stuff it. Last night I canceled my account.
On a slightly more pleasant note: a secret phone # that paypal will answer promptly is 402-935-2050
GetHuman.com is a very useful site to find out ways to contact busineses that don't want to talk to you.
abebooks.com is a wonderful resource for finding used books anywhere in the world. I highly recommend it.
Al Wait

phabib

Registered
Re: paypal

I have sort of mixed, but overall positive things to say about Paypal.

I made a purchase in a forum similar to this one and paid a lot of money, about $600, using Paypal. Never got my merchandise. I contacted Paypal and asked for a refund. This is where Paypal's service was lacking. The seller (if you can call someone who does not deliver merchandise a seller) responded to my complaint with claims and phony documentation to say that he had delivered the goods. The Paypal process then gave me a chance to respond to his claims or accept them as truth, but did not provide a way to do that. It took me about two hours on the phone to find out the unpublished email address where I could send the evidence that the guy was lying. This was not posted on line and I had to be pretty assertive to get it.

Eventually, Paypal found in my favor and took the money back from his account and was able to refund all but a few cents of my money.

So at the end of the long and difficult process they protected me and got me my refund. Better than the USPS has done when I've send money orders into never never land. It just didn't seem like a system that was set up to be easy to use.

greysteam24hp

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/31/2013
Re: paypal

Paypal is licensed Banking. Be sure it shows on web address says " HTTPS" paypal.
This forum belong to another forum

Last edited:

DaveTexas

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/17/2011
Never had one issue with paypal.

Paid a complete stranger via paypal for an engine no issues.

Do they take a cut/money? Sure they have to stay in business.

:shrug:

Mikey4026

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
PayPal is great when everything goes according to their plan.
When something goes wrong, they are pretty much no help at all, no customer service, PERIOD. I closed my account years ago.
Mikey

David M. Lyon

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/12/2020
Knock on wood....But, I've NEVER had any problems with PAYPAL.:shrug: I use them quite a bit and really like the service. I will NOT buy anything on E-Bay anymore if they won't accept a PAYPAL payment.:uhoh:

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
We've visited this issue before and there is nothing new here.......except you will now find this thread in the Craigs List / eBay© Auction Discussion forum.

I just bought a drill press part for Mark at the shop on Ebay this afternoon. I paid with PayPal, of course, and no problem.

Handlebar99

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019
I use paypal all the time for buying and selling --never had a problem. Do I like it? NOOOO. I also use evilbay for buying and selling. Do I like it? NOOOO.

But, evilbay/paypal are about the only game(s) in town --therfore I'll keep on using them --and continue to complain.

Ray Rice, the cranky old guy in Rifton

Russell M

Registered
I have used it for years with no real problems except for a seller that didn't set up their account properly. I limit it to companies and/or people I have dealt with before to limit the possibility of getting hosed.

Canadian made

Registered
I use paypal for buying and selling on ebay with no problems. Yeah they take a bit of money but so does my local bank every month. I live in Canada and paypal makes it easy to sell and buy to the USA.

Keith Kinney

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
10/02/2019
I've used it for years and made hundreds of payments with it. Never had a problem. I think it's like a local bank, some people swear by one bank while others swear at it.
Keith

Jetta Lewis

Registered
I've used Ebay and Paypal since around 97 or 98. During that time I've run into my share of scam artists and deadbeats. So far I've ended up beat out of less than $50. Ebay has not been so great, but the ppl at Paypal have always worked for me. The one thing I have learned is to buy from ppl with a track record. You can always get burned on a sale to a newby. The only dognut I've ever gotten was from a fellow with less than 10 buys who bought a lathe from me and said. Its older than I thot, but I'm happy. Go figure. The one time PP really paid off for me was when I purchased a quantity of gold from a seller in three lots. When I got the first lot I realized the seller had self marked the gold 14K. I contacted PP and the girl there told me to list every bit of it as not recieved. I did and never heard a word from the seller and eventually got all my money back. He is welcome to pick up his fake gold any time.

greysteam24hp

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/31/2013
I use paypal. No complications. I use ebay no problem.
Over 700 feedback since 2000. No questions ask.
Ebay(licensed auctioneer) and Paypal(ebay's licensed banking) it cannot combine together, separate site by legal.
I have been selling lot of stuff on ebay this month. Fees added. Paypal fees deduct for selling. One thing is good about is I don't want to buy 500.00 credit card machine to handle legal customer credit card number. Any stores, tractor business receive customer credit card will have to pay fees like paypal. Bidspotter has a similar plan for customer bid online LIVE auction.
Simply paypal made my transaction simple.:)

Last edited:

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Never been real happy with the fee's they charge, but it is lower than some of the local auctioneer's commissions, plus eBay & PayPal open up a worldwide market for you if you're selling something that may not bring much on the local market.