• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Penn Yan, NY engines for sale?

Dusty

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
has anyone been able to reach this man about his engines for sale listed on Harrys classified ads Dec 28th ?

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
Re: Penn Yan, NY engines for sale ?

I had some correspondence with them about the Edwards engine on the 20th. She would not name a price, but insisted I make a "fair" offer. She sent photos of the engine and I noticed the magneto is not original, the fuel bowl is some homemade affair and it's also missing the air adjusting knobs on the front of the engine. I told her of these things and made a fair offer considering what the right parts were probably going to cost. I then got what I thought was sort of a nasty email asking me how I knew these things and if I was an expert on Edwards engines. I replied that I have been in the hobby for 30 years and I know a thing or two about a few engines and, no, I am not an expert on Edwards engines. I do, however, know how to use the internet and do research to find out if an engine I am looking at is worth buying or not.
They have been trying to sell those engines for a long time and now I know why.

Tim Claremont

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/15/2012
I inquired and got the same "make an offer" response. I choose not to deal with people who dont know how much they want, so I forgot about it. A few days later I got an email with "CooCoo For Cocoa Puffs" kinds of prices. They were double market rate given the current economy. Not even worth making an offer at that point. Now I have gotten another email with slightly lower prices. The prices are all the way down to ludicrously high.

shanelc50

Registered
I got a response from them. they don't seem to know what the term "fair offer" is. they want way more than any of the engines are worth.

Dusty

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Lady claims she cannot reply to e-mails as she is having computer trouble.

Last edited:

SethM

Registered
I actually went and saw the collection, and I found them pleasant to talk with but depressingly firm on their prices for things. I'll admit some were priced too high, others were in the ballpark... remember, it's worth what the market will bear. And really, they have sold a lot of the engines already, so their prices must be acceptable to somebody.
Seth

Chris Kirk

Registered
About a year and a half ago, I bought a Detroit engine from the party in question. It was a (very) old restoration, and I knew that. However, they neglected to mention the huge weld on the water jacket. The price I paid was in the ballpark, but if I had known about the weld, I may not have made the deal. Proceed with caution.

Chris

Jeff R Parks

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/16/2016
I have also seen the collection many years ago. There isn't anything there that can't be found elsewhere for realistic prices without the hassle. I wouldn't waste any time. :crazy:

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
I bought a Pontiac (Lee) engine from them several years ago sight unseen. When I picked it up at the Canandaigua show, it had issues which they/we didn't know about. We talked about it, and they reduced the price so I had to take it home with me. We both were satisified with the transaction :) . After some long hours tinkering, and making some parts I got it running (just having fun in NJ :confused:). It sits in its place near the 1966 & 68 Pontiac's in the shed :uhoh: . After all, it's a Pontiac..........:shrug:

Jonathan Widelo

Registered
Years ago probably 2002 or 2003 They had a Fairbanks Headless Z for sale, they wanted $ 950 for it :eek: it was missing the skids crank guard and some other things it was also painted the wrong shade of green and the flywheels were black. Back then I didn't know a whole lot about engines but wanted a Headless engine real bad, I almost bought it but after some consideration I decided not to. I am glad I didn't at that price you can just about buy two headless engines. The reason they must be selling at these prices are new collectors sometimes are desperate just to get an engine no matter what and will pay whatever for it (this is how it was for me when I started, it’s a learning curve) just look at Ebay $700 Lb's $ 1000 M's etc.

Happy New Year !!

~ Jonathan

George & Helen Myers

In Memory Of Helen
Last Subscription Date
12/15/2010
In 2004 Jennifer had this 6HP Ottawa advertised on Harry's.
We made satisfactory arrangements with them and purchased the engine. Yes, there were some flaws that they hadn't mentioned but that was not a major problem. Paid premium price but haven't had a chance to purchase another one. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet!
Dan, we believe, has a 6HP gasoline model which is just a little newer than this one.
We asked why she was selling this engine! Her response was that it was nearest the door. At that time the building was packed with "common" engine, meaning readily found engines. Most of the engines had not been run in 25 or more years. They belonged to her father according to her.......Helen

Attachments

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I bought an engine from them in Jan. of 2008. They sent many detailed photos and responded to all my e-mails. There were several problems with the engine that they disclosed and I made an offer and after some negotiation we made a deal. I sent them a money order and asked them to store the engine until April. I made the 1400 mile drive to New York from Texas and picked up the engine. I found it to be as they has described. After I got home with it and started restoration I found a bad tooth on the cam gear but I'm sure they didn't know it was there. The engine I bought is a 6hp Gade and I am really happy with it. They were nice to do business with and if they had other engines I was interested in I would not hesitate to make them an offer based on their e-mails and photos.

Andrew Walker

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/29/2019
They have a photo ad on ytmag.com with some engines and prices listed if you wanted to try and reach them through there. Ad# 316017 . :)

-Andrew....