• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Petter air cooled petrol/paraffin engine

whytey

Hello all

Would like some information on this engine please, age and if the colours might be correct, obviously it has had a re paint at some point.
As per above, type APS ,number 336820, 3 BHP, 1500 RPM, flywheel number 67387 with W underneath, Solex carby and series A Wico mag.

Thanks Whytey

Attachments

Philipagri

Hi, Looks like you have a nice complete Petter A type with both the auxiliary petrol tank and exhaust chamber for paraffin use. The A series was introduced in 1936 and lasted into the war before being replaced by the A1. P will probably indicate paraffin, the AS engines were mostly supplied to the armed forces, going both to army and air force, it would be interesting to see what the original colour is.
If you contact Jim Perkins jimp1115@btinternet.com with your serial no. he should be able to give more information on your engine including date of manufacture.
Philip

whytey

Hi Philip
Many thanks for your reply, I will email Jim. The engine cleaned up very nice and with a little trial and error due to not being able to read all the instructions on the cowling plate, had the engine running yesterday for the first time.
Thanks
Whytety

Philipagri

Agricultural Paraffin fuel in Britain before the 1950's came in two sorts.

There was Lamp Oil which as it's name suggests was primary designed for lighting but a number of engine manufacturers in the early days like Hornsby and Blackstone etc provided engines to run on it.

Then there was Tractor Vapourising Oil or TVO which had much more of a punch to it and was the main type of paraffin oil used by farmers in their tractors and engines. They stopped making it commercially when most British farmers went over to diesel tractors in the 60's.

The term Kerosene here usually refers to domestic heating oil which has very poor lubricating properties and has to be mixed with something to enable old paraffin engines to run on it. I have run spark ignition Fergusons on it but it lacks power compared to TVO.

whytey

Hello Phillip and members
Received some great information from Jim after sending the engine num ber and some detailed pics.
This engine was sent to Buzacott - Wolseley Sydney, NSW on 29/08/1944, the Buzacott group was involved in engineering and manufacture of engines and the supply of agricultural produces. During this war time Buzacott was almost entirely engaged in supplying the defence forces and primary producers.
Engines were painted according to the service the went to and this included the painting of engines red for fire service application. I was unable to find conlusive evidence that this engine had a previous colour after i scraped away a little section of the paint, and removed the filler brass plate to see what was underneath. It is quite possible that red was the engine's original colour and was issued to the fire services. The blue sections appear not to have a different colour under them also.