• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Petter Handyman fuel problem

John Kilpatrick

Registered
I HAVE A 1910 PETTER HANDYMAN WHICH IHAVE RESTORED AND HAVE BEEN SHOWING FOR SOME TIME BUT I HAVE ALWAYS HAD TROUBLE WITH THE CYLINDER GUMMING UP. WHEN THE ENGINE IS SHUT DOWN IT SIEZES ALMOST IMMEDIATLY! (BUT IT WILL RUN ALL DAY)

THE ENGINE HAS TO HAVE THE PISTON PULLED ALL THE TIME AND SCRUBBED UP WITH MEK.

THE ONLY FUEL IHAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET IT TO RUN ON IS AVTUR OR LIGHTING KERO, ANY ATTEMPT SO FAR TO MIX IN SOME DIESEL HAS HAD NEGATIVE RESULTS.

ANYONE GOT ANY IDEA'S?:shrug:

Last Subscription Date
10/02/2010
What sort of oil are you using? I have found some of the heavier mulitgrade detergent oils can really gum things up.

John Kilpatrick

Registered
Hi Pat, thanks for the reply, I have tried straight mineral oil which didn't seem to make any difference so I assumed it was a fuel issue but maybe I should look into the lube side of it a bit deeper as I do tend to over oil my engines a bit.(gotta look after the old girls eh!)
Cheers John

Wayne Timms

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Hi John,

I have a couple of engines which suffer from the same problem, when I just use standard kerosene. To overcome this I add 100ml of 2 stroke chainsaw/lawnmower mix to 4 - 5 litres of kerosene. It works for me, I don't know why!

Let me know if it works for you.

Regards,

Wayne

John Kilpatrick

Registered
Thanks Wayne,
I'll give anything a go but it may be a while before I get the Petter out again, got a bit going on at the moment.
Cheers John.

rolfengine

Registered
hi john i agree with wayne fill your pot with bog standard 2 stroke oil, mix some in your fuel , mine will run ok all day , also make sure the compression is good, regards adey

John Kilpatrick

Registered
Thanks Adey, I have been advised recently by fellow old engine men to use 'Penrite Heritage MTH' oil in all my engines.
Sounds like good stuff wadayareckon?
Cheers John.