• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Peugeot 6.90 Indenor Diesel Specs

Sooty Jim

Registered
Looking for a few basic specs for the Peugeot Indenor 6.90 six-cylinder diesel from about 1974. Power, torque, compression ratio, engine weight. See some brochures for sale online but they are too low res to read the details and I don't have the time to wait buying one, not want to pay $20-25 bucks just to get those few specs. Canya help a fella out? Doing a story on the development of diesel power for the IH Scout and the 6.90 is one of the engines installed for tests. The Perkins 6.247 and the Nissan SD-33 were the other two. The D301 was considered but I haven't found evidence that they installed one for tests. They were all of similar power output, the D301 being the biggest, heaviest and most powerful... albeit long in the tooth and just about to go out of production. Insidentally, the first Nissan powered Scout, the Perkins Scout have survived intact, and the rusted out body shell of the Peugeot powered one is still around.

cornbinder89

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/11/2020
Sorry can't help but they sound like a 6 cyl version of the 4 they put in cars. Never saw a 6 cly Peugeot diesel in this country . The 301 was put in a fair number of pick-up trucks, but I haven't seen one in a Scout. The 301 was based off the Ag engine of the same size and was in the same family as the small truck 6 in (in gasoline form).
I would have thought by the mid 70's the 301 would have been discontinued?

Sooty Jim

Registered
The 6.90s seen here were pretty much limited to the marine version. I've not seen any in cars or trucks either. The one in the test Scout ended up with a broken cam. I guess Peugeot hoped to sell some 6.90 to IH. Not sure who paid for it, but a Scout was actually sent to France for the install and then back for tests. Perkins also installed theirs, but they did it here in the US.

The D301 was at or near it's end in '71 when the process to dieselize the Scout began. I have documentation that it was being considered at that time but there is no evidence that it was installed in a test rig. It was bigger and a coupla hundred pounds heavier than the others, plus being obsolete. Nah, I wouldn't bet that they wasted their time installing one but IH did stupider thangs at times... ( : < )

cornbinder89

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/11/2020
Kinda ironic, as the Peugeot 5 spd ended up in Jeep's, a scout competitor.
My experience with several Peugeot diesels was they all suffered from a design flaw in the head. There was a coolant passage between the valve seats and with the head being aluminum, and the seats being pressed in, would over time develop a stress crack that would travel through to the coolant passage. In cars it took between 150K-180K and in industrial engines a similar number of hours.