Pictures of Rubber Tire Tractors

I don't have many photos of rubber tired tractors, but I have a few I need to put out here for your enjoyment. This first picture I took at Antique Acres, Cedar Falls, Iowa in 1992 and shows a Minneapolis Moline UDLX, the tractor you could plow with all week, take to town on Saturday night then drive to church on Sunday - praying for a crop failure of the wild oats you sewed on Saturday night?

This M&M was also taken there and the factory cab likely made this tractor quite valuable?

Larry Sasaki sent me this photo from Havre, Montana where he worked for the defunct Big Bud tractor manufacturing company in that town. This photo for one of three copies of the "world's largest tractor" was taken on the Williams Farm at Big Sandy, Montana. It is 65 tons, 760 BHP, 1470 Cu In, and has a V-16 two cycle engine. One of these orphans went to California and another went to Hawaii.

This is a picture of a 1941 Farmall M my cousin gave me and I gave to my son Mike shown atop it several years ago. It was a real piece of junk before restoration.
Gary

Re: Pictures of rubber tire tractors

This picture shows my former 1974 "antique" 4568 International Harvester 4 wheel drive with 800 Cu In IH V-8. This tractor is long worn out. Me and my uncle Bill are standing by the Russell and Case engines at the old Judith Basin Montana homestead in about 1980.

This Picture shows the rear of my former 4568 "antique" IH tractor and my youngest daughter Mevanie on her bicycle. She'll soon be 32.

My grandson Maverick Bursch is shown atop "Ol' Annie", my 1939 IH Farmall H. My 15 hp Case steamer is behind them. Annie is the 181st Farmall H built.

My Nephew Ralph Yaeger is shown on the first Cub Cadet we ever had on the Judith Basin farm. It was the second one sold there and my cousin bought the first. I don't remember the year, but "Cub Cadet" people will likely know without me saying. There is some other red paint in the background.
Gary

Last edited:

I scanned some more photos of my younger years. This first photo is of my son Mike plowing with an International 660 Standard Diesel when he was about 12 or 13. He was pulling a Schaffer one way disk or cylinder plow, over in Montana's Judith Basin.

This picture was taken of my 4568 V-8 4X4 pulling an IH 36' #55 Chisel Plow and three 12' IH 150 Shovel Drills. This was taken about 1978 by my father in-law, Lynn Simpson.

This is a picture of the first brand new tractor I ever bought, an IH 806 Wheatland Special Standard. The Standard didn't have an adjustable front axle. Wheatland Special meant "no torque Amplifier" for a budget priced tractor. This cab was an IH factory cab. The cylinder or one way plows cut 21' on the flat.

This last tractor was one of my favorites of all times, an IH 1256 Turbo Standard with IH factory cab, which included a heater. It is shown in her winter work clothes. In the fall, I'd pull the outer dual wheels and install the tire chains and dozer. It had a tank heater to take the strain off of starting it inside the Quonset. this outfit would plow snow at 9-10 MPH, much like the county road grader, with its 10' blade.

Now back to a little bit older tractors, again. My daughter in-law Pam was dressed in her new "tractor pants" for running my 1939 Farmall H at a family reunion at our place several years ago.

This is a Farmall C that used to belong to my friend Dan Tombrink, who has a shed full of "over restored" IH Farmalls, near Columbia Falls. This tractor got replaced by a "white" Farmall C demomstrator. That is my granddaughter Mercedes, who is now 16 going on 17.

My friend Jim Mattson owns this beautiful Silver King tractor and had it at my place for a show. This and the Farmall C above were here for the first Northwest Antique Power Association's first spring crankup in May of 1994.
Gary;)

This is a picture of my sweetie pie, my lifelong friend (since 1951) of 55 years and my wife of nearly 43 years, Sharon, who is sitting on her father's, the late Lynn Simpson, McCormick-Deering WD-6 Standard at their farm near Moore, Montana in the Judith Basin. She would later farm with her dad's WD-9 for several years. She likely has more experience on a WD-9 than some of us old timer guys?

This is a picture I took of the 1030 Case Lynn Simpson later bought and I bought from him after his retirement. It is hooked to a Schafer one way, cylinder plow.

This is a picture Sharon took of Lynn Simpson as he was helping me seed one year. We were seeding with the IH 4568 and the IH 1256, pulling five 150shovel drills, cutting a 60' swath on the old Judith Basin farm.

This is McCormick Deering WD-9 Sharon used to run and a IH 806 Wheatland Special when Lynn Simpson and I were farming together in the late 1960s.
Gary

Last edited:

Here is an unusual picture. In circa 1963, Dad and I and a cousin went to the Mehmke Farm, about 90 miles from where I lived in Montana's Judith Basin for a demonstration of the new International Harvester 4300 4X4 tractor. I didn't see this one happen, as Mehmke's must have fired up their 30 hp undermounted Avery on another day, when they went plowing for this picture. Considering a new IH pickup was still under $2000, $43,000 was quite a bit for a farmer to pay for a tractor. The 4300 not only had front and rear steering, it would crab steer and go sideways. Carl Mehmke let me copy this picture from his collection and I just wanted to share it with you.
Gary;)

John Hanson

Gary, I remember Austin telling me about letting his brother Bob pull his big plow with a 4 wheel drive Case that he had... Austin said it would pull it, but only just and not too... and you could feel it shake the ground for a long ways away on those peet meadows up there!
JH

John Hanson said:
Gary, I remember Austin telling me about letting his brother Bob pull his big plow with a 4 wheel drive Case that he had... Austin said it would pull it, but only just and not too... and you could feel it shake the ground for a long ways away on those peet meadows up there!
JH
John,
That 20 bottom plow was made up of an 8 bottom and a 12 bottom John Deere plows. I have a picture somewhere of Austin pulling the 12 bottom with the 40 hp Peerless. I wonder and maybe you remember, did the Case 4X4 pull the 12 or the 20 bottom. In my mind, I was thinking it would take a pretty good 4X4 tractor to pull that plow, at least at Belgrade. There were times the front wheels would slightly lift off of the ground, limiting turning capabilities, from the tough pull and that Peerless weighs right at 27 tons with the boiler water at operating height and full of water in both water tanks. Don Bradley's 110 hp Case could only pull 14 bottoms of Austin's plow at Belgrade. That was the toughest pulling soil I have ever seen in my life.
Gary;)

John Hanson

I'm pretty sure it was only 12 bottoms... seems to me that's what I was told. At any rate, I sure wish I'd have gotten to see that!!
JH

My son Mike, at about age 14, was backing the IH 4578 up next to the shop to change shovels on the chisel plow.

Joe Yaeger, my dad, on his "new" Cub Cadet 7 hp tractor in the 1960s. This was the second one sold in Montana's Judith Basin and my cousin bought the first one.

This is my oldest daughter Michaelle and son Mike posing on my used 660 Standard diesel in 1975. Michaelle was 8 and mike was 10.

This is Mike greasing the Schaefer oneway disk plow being pulled with the 1030 Case tractor.

This is another picture of "Annie", my 1939 Farmall H and the 181st one built. My granddaughter Mercedes Bursch is at the wheel and her brother Maverik, my grandson, is riding on the hitch.
Gary;)

This is a picture of my son Mike at the throttle of our 15 hp Case steam engine threshing near Kalispell, Montana's Glacier International Airport in 1989, celebrating Montana's Centennial. My son also now owns this 22 inch McCormick-Deering threshing machine we were using. I put this picture here, as there was a real nice rubber tire green farmall hooked to the bundle wagon. As pretty as it was, they had a lot of problems with it "missing" that day.:bonk:
Gary;)

Hey guys,
I'm running out of rubber tire tractors in my gallery. This last one is one of my former 806 IH Wheatland Special (no T/A) in May of 1968. I bought it brand new off of the showroom in 1967, a first for me. I won't rail about this 806 not being an "antique" tractor, as the M, H, C, and A farmalls aren't "antique" to me... Not when I sat on them brand new in the showroom... and caught he11 for stepping on the starter pin a time or two.
Gary

Pentode

Just another Deere-R diesel with my oldest at the wheel wanting to drag something around.

Pentode

Attachments

Big Six

Thank you for the tractor pics--I really enjoyed them!

You've got a lot of good history, and family history, to be proud of there.

Peter

I found another picture taken of me with my 1939 Farmall H and a 1941 Farmall M that I gave to my son, and he did a nice job of restoration.

Since I am so short of rubber tire tractors these days, I am putting this picture of my friend Jim Mattson's Heider, by Rock Island Plow Company, and my friend Myron Motichka's (I believe?) D John Deere. I hope Harry or Craig won't get upset with me placing a steel wheel tractor in this area. I think it is if I were to put a rubber tire tractor in "Lugs & Cleats" that I would be in trouble?

MoRo

Subscriber

Speaking for Craig here:brows: It's ok, since there IS a rubber-tired tractor in the pic, though in the background. Yeah, what gives here, JD's are s'posed to be in the FRONT of everything else!!! :p

Craig A

Staff member

Lest ANY of you think I'm NOT paying attention..........THINK AGAIN..... :rolleyes:

I'll let that good looking Heider pic slide but it WOULD look better at Lugs & Cleats................;)

Last edited:

Sawyer-Massey 11-22

Actually Craig:

It [the Heider] did sneak into "Lugs and Cleats" with Gary's pic of Jims Titan, although be it just a glimpse:) .

Robert

Pentode

To me it doesn't matter, that is one pretty machine. Just my opinion and after all I am a better rule breaker than maker:D

Pentode