• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Piston and Cylinder Clearance?

Gary K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
I don't know what the ISBN number is? To be truthful, I don't know what ISBN means?

jht1057

Registered
Hi Gary,

The ISBN number is on the same page as the copyright, print date and publisher information.

"What is an ISBN?
The International Standard Book Number (ISBN) is a 10-digit number that uniquely identifies books and book-like products published internationally."

"What is the purpose of an ISBN?
The purpose of the ISBN is to establish and identify one title or edition of a title from one specific publisher and is unique to that edition, allowing for more efficient marketing of products by booksellers, libraries, universities, wholesalers and distributors."

Found the accurate descriptions for the ISBN numbers, to pass along.

Thanks, Jim

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Hi Gary,

Still would like to have the information, to look for a copy of your book.

Thanks, Jim

Gary K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
jht1057:

Copyright 1941, 1965, by Cornell Maritime Press, Inc.

Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 65-18208

That's all of the information I could find . . . I couldn't find a 10 digit number.

I looked on Volume 2, and it even has less information!

Sorry I couldn't give you more information :shrug:

Gary K

Alec Ryals

Registered
John is absolutely correct in the previous post. Add, .001 to begin with and then add ,001 for every inch of diameter.
So is that .004 for a 4" cylinder to piston clearance

---------- Post added at 11:09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56:59 PM ----------

John is absolutely correct in the previous post. Add, .001 to begin with and then add ,001 for every inch of diameter.
So is that .004 for a 4" cylinder to piston clearance

Turbo-TDD

Registered
Steve & Nick:

Here's 3 scans: Cylinder, piston valve, and eccentric tolerances that I scanned off.

I have two more on bearing clearances, but I'll have to post them on another posting!

Gary K
Gary,

For some reason I am not able to see these photos for the clearances. Where in the MODERN MARINE ENGINEER'S MANUAL do you find these. I have the 3rd edition and have scoured through it looking for these and cannot seem to find them.