• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Pitt Hot Bulb Oil Engine, 4.5hp, Any Owners out There?

agusta74

Registered
Today I did a deal to buy another engine for my vast collection... the addition of this engine will take my "collection" to a grand total to 2 engines... Yes TWO, the other being a Little Jumbo 1.5hp. :)

The "new" engine is most of a 1909ish? 4.5hp Pitt oil engine number 5012.

I am hoping to find other owners to talk to and get information and my great hope is I might be able to find some of the missing parts or get enough information on the parts to be able to remake them.

Any Pitt owners or experts out their that might be able to help??

Regards
Gavin
gavinnz@xtra.co.nz
Bay of Islands
New Zealand.

Attachments

Last edited:

agusta74

Registered
Re: Pitt hot bulb oil engine, 4.5hp, any owners out their""

So at a glance I can see some things I am missing...

The injector is modern, so I need one of those.
No fuel pump.
No fuel pump "L shaped" arm to the governer.
No exhaust valve.
No flywheel guard.
Missing half the big end bearing (we hope to find that)
No inlet valve rocker arm.
No oiler.
No fuel tank.
No muffler.

and no doubt more that I don't even realise is missing!!
But a good starting point for a lovely old engine.

Regards
Gavin

Oil Power

Registered

The modern CAV injector is certainly out of place in this engine. The cleanliness of the injector in the hot bulb indicates the engine has never been run with it in place.
Hugh

agusta74

Registered

Yes, it has not run for at LEAST 40 years when the guy I got it from acquired it. That injector was someone trying to be helpful in the past...

Merv C

Registered
You are going to struggle to find those parts as the Pitt is uncommon. I don't know of anyone down our way that has one or even a parts one. Keep at it and spread the word. I have found that when it gets known about your latest project It can be surprising what turns up. It has happened to me several times. Start the restoration and see what happens. Good luck with it.

Merv.

hi there i have a 4 1/2pitt in WA but it is a petrol with spark ignition but is identical with the one you have apart from hot bulb all valves are same and governor oilers and very nice runner.

agusta74

Registered
You are going to struggle to find those parts as the Pitt is uncommon. I don't know of anyone down our way that has one or even a parts one. Keep at it and spread the word. I have found that when it gets known about your latest project It can be surprising what turns up. It has happened to me several times. Start the restoration and see what happens. Good luck with it.

Merv.
Thanks Merv, yes I think I will end up making the parts but it would be great to have something to copy so I am not just guessing and angles and the exact way the governor engages etc
It would be good to get the guess work out of the job!
:)

---------- Post added at 03:51:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50:35 AM ----------

hi there i have a 4 1/2pitt in WA but it is a petrol with spark ignition but is identical with the one you have apart from hot bulb all valves are same and governor oilers and very nice runner.
Good to know! Can you post some photos of your engine? I would love to see it!

agusta74

Registered
I know this engine is a spark engine with a water pump, but I LOVE the way it is presented!! I think I may have to steal this style of presentation, love the water cooling system, colours and cart. I might have to retrofit a simple sideshaft driven water pump so I can run that cooling system. Something to aim for!

Attachments