• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Planet Jr. planter

Roland Finkenbinder

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/24/2019
I recently picked up a Planet Jr. #6 push planter. This is the model with the round cast iron hopper. I know it is not a horse drawn implement, but I thought this was the best site to ask about it. It was stuck and one handle was gone, but the remaining handle will work for a pattern. I bought it to fix and use, but would like to talk to anyone who might have literature or experiance with these planters. There are a couple of minor parts missing and several unused holes in the castings that I have questions on. Thank you, Roland Finkenbinder

T

trowel

if you could post some pic.s of it so we can see the holes and the seeder itself it would help, i have a no. 4 push type from the 30's,
trowel

Roland Finkenbinder

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/24/2019
I have attached several photos, (hopefully) The main questions I had were about the lever that adjusts the size of the seed opening. Apparently there was a rod or wire that ran up the handle on the right side to a control near the operator ? Also there is a hole in the castings just behind the front axle and one just ahead of the rear wheel on what looks like a wheel scraper for an attachment ( there is a small bolt thru it now) ? The star wheel that operates the feed mechanism has 4in. cast on it. Where there interchangable wheels for other spacing ? Thanks, Roland

Attachments

T

trowel

i have not seen too many no. 2's,
here is pic.'s of my no. 4 for comparison, the hole with the bolt in the rear wheel casting mount is for a row marker similar to mines, here it is show closed for transport, and open for use, the drive wheel im not shure about and the hole may have been for bolting on a tool bar for cultivating like the no. 4 has, the no. 4 can be split in 2 via 1 bolt and a cultivating frame (tool bar) bolted on for summer after planting, i see your's does not have the seed cut off lever like mines, (missing?) adjustment of the seed opening is achieved with the cast iron handle along the back of the seed hopper, on the back of the hopper there is a tab with lines in it showing seed types, (corn, beans, etc..),
hopefully someone with a compleat no. 2 will chime in with pic.s,
trowel

Attachments

Candy T.

Registered
Hi Trowel,
I would like to know what that metal pole is out to the side on the 4th picture is. We have a No. 25 and I know we are missing parts.
BTW: Nice Jr.

I'm thinking about keeping ours in its original condition. The flower emblem on the side is faint but it is still visible.
Thanks,
Candy

T

trowel

the rod that swings out with the cast iron bar?,
row marker, marks your next row so it is straight and equal, can be swung to ether side, i found this drill seeder in a semi truck trailer in the condition it's in, all original, i bring this seeder and push plow to engine shows with my horse drawn iron,

Roland Finkenbinder

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/24/2019
Thank you for the photos, they answer some of the questions I had. Yes, I quickly put it together for the photos and missed the piece that the star wheel hits to drop the seed. Thanks again --Roland

T

trowel

that metal bar handle has me intreaged, is the hand grip made of wood?, i see your missing the manual seed shut off lever and spring, here's pic.s of what it looks like, it's held tight by a little wood wedge the previous owner put in to keep it from accidental closing during use, i see both cast iron wheels survived 80 years intact, 1930's, older then mines by around 5 years, i got the very same seed tag as yours, very nice find, great project to do with your kids,
new planet jr. ash wood handles can be had at Farmer Brown's Plow Shop with the cross bar for $64.00,
trowel

Attachments

Candy T.

Registered
Hi Trowel,
Here is the picture of the wooden handle. Do you think it is original to the piece? I like the fact that you can still read the logo on yours.
Thanks,
Candy

Attachments

T

trowel

yes the handle is more then likley original for the bar, after many years a groove has been worn into the wood by work hands, they were made to last,

Candy T.

Registered
I'm glad it is orginal to the piece. I wish we had the other handle. But, at least we have one for a pattern. My hubby says it should be a snap to replicate.
Thanks a lot Jesse.
Candy

Candy T.

Registered
Hi,
Does anyone else think the price of these planet juniors are skyrocketing on the internet?
I collect them but I think these are over inflated.
Question: Are the rounded handle pj's more rare?
Thanks,
Candy