• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Please Help me Identify this Wisconsin

Bigjoedo

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013
Looking at this Wisconsin engine. Can anyone tell me what model it might be and if parts are still available. Thanks

Bigjoedo

I cleaned a lot of the grease and crap off, behind the flywheel I found AA-35 or it could be AA-65 or AA- 95 can't make out the first number. It has a F&M magneto and 8 head bolts. Cleaned the points and it has a hot blue spark.

Looking at the unofficial Wisconsin engine website I found this info
AA
Bore & Stroke 2-1/4 X 2-3/4
HP 1.8 @ 2600
Years Produced 1936 - 1949
L-Head Mechanical Governor Outboard Magneto

Is this the engine I have? Is it worth $75? Where can I buy a Gas tank, Carburetor Muffler etc? Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

Homebrewer

Registered
I am not by any way an expert. But it looks like some parts would interchange with my BKND, but looks older maybe a BKN, it is hard to tell, a lot of parts missing. I assume there is no tag on the shroud?

KenHilliard

Registered
I would not but the engine. It looks pretty well parted out. Used carb and manifold will be about 50 at least. Air cleaner the same. Gas tank and bracket, if found, maybe twenty. There two major questions. The mag's condition and if it doesn't work you can get a whole running engine for a lot less than the cost of its rebuild. The missing plug means that the cylinder is at best badly containinated if not seized; so that area will require a lot of work. If the mag has good, hot spark, then it it worth the $75 if you locate another complete engine.

The vertical plug suggests an acn or bkn. The ab's and akn's have the slanted plug.

Bigjoedo

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013
Ken,

The mag has a good hot spark, engine turns over fine and has good compression. It looks like parts may be hard to find. So basicly at best it is a parts engine? Thanks

Bigjoedo

Zira

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
03/21/2020
First, the casting number you posted is not the model number. It looks like your engine is an ACN or BKN. These are pretty common and not as old as the AA. Parts for this are not that hard to find, but the zenith carb's that most used are very prone to corrosion problems inside. If you can get it cheap it is a good engine to play with. I wouldn't pay much for it though. It would not be be worth $75 if complete & running in that cosmetic condition. If you did get it I can help you with parts but there are a lot of these in the $30 - $50 range with less missing parts. And don't be afraid of bad mags, working used ones are only $20 - $25. Gas tanks, air cleaners, and carbs are at least as important.

Bigjoedo

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013
The engine cleaned up pretty well. But is missing a lot of parts as stated. Mag is hot, head gasket is good valves look ok and move well, but it has almost no compression. 2 7/8" bore by the way. I haven't paid him and think I will take it back and tell him it would be to costly to get it looking and running well again. Thanks for the help.

Bigjoedo

magneticanomaly

Registered
Perhaps $75 is high, but Offer him $30.

Don't worry about availability of original parts, many carbs could be adapted to fit, as fuel tanks or make one from a piece of stovepipe.

Unless you don't NEED a sturdy, torquey, fuel-efficient, easy-starting engine that will outlive you.