• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Please help with IDENTIFICATION

Ed Stoller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
The engine looks a little like a Wisconsin TF. Do the pistons come up to TDC together or 180 Deg apart? How many poles on the stator?

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
A 2 stroke Clinton is not a Wisconsin TF.
Very interesting engine. Looks like it might have been adapted from an outboard motor design. I know that Clinton made air cooled single cylinder outboards and I guess it is possible they could have made a twin too, unless this was designed from the ground up for this military generator.
Take some pictures of all the tags on the unit and also some of the control panel & components. I'd like to see more of this unit!

Rich Mc

Registered
Okay Guys here is the deal. A scrapper dropped this off at my shop, asked me if "I wanted it". I have no spare time lately so I thought the members here would know what it is without me using a minute of time. If I was told it was 400Hz I would give back to the scrapper ASAP. Otherwise I'll set it aside until I get more information about it or more time. There is one additional label on the unit but it is blank and there is no additional markings on the unit. It does fire on the 180 degrees. Has good compression and looks fairly robust with a quality governor and carb. Thanks Much Rich

Wayne 440

Registered
The little set arrived today. As Rich stated it has good compression and it hit a few times when primed with a squirt of gas/oil down the carb. Made by "The Martin Company, Orlando, FL" so that puts it at 1956 or later.

K D Redd

In Memory Of
Could this engine be a TWO STROKE Military Standard Engine made by Clinton? I ask this because the carb look a lot like the carb used on the 4A-032 engine that is used on the MEP-16's.

Kent

Wayne 440

Registered
I have no doubt that it was made for the government, but other than that have reached dead ends at every turn. The unit has one plate that says "the Martin Company, Orlando FL." - several sources say that Martin came to Orlando in 1956.

On the other hand, the tag on the other side reads "Clinton Engines Corp, Clinton Mich.", and this page http://www.clintonengines.com/html/history.html gives an indication that it could have been made somewhat earlier.

By measuring the bore and stroke, the displacement is right at 10 c.i., it has a Tillotson carb, and the generator end is probably 120/208 400hz. It has a Regohm brand voltage regulator. I bet it is going to be loud buzzing along at 4800rpm, I'll keep it handy for when the neighbor's lawn mower gets bothersome.

GADavis

Registered
Martin made some outboard motors in the fifties. They were a division of the national Pressure Cooker Co.
Tthere is one hanging on a stand in an old store building about 12 miles from me. The father died and left it and his only son is going to let it all rot away. There is also a complete drug store soda fountain stored in there. Most of this stuff is as was left in the late fifties.

dalmatiangirl61

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
If 400hz you can still use it with incandescent bulbs. Way back before leds were cheap and powerful we used to sell the 15 and 30kw 400hz surplus generators to shrimpers, all they used them for was lights.