Please Identify early engine?

Hi All,
could possibly be a vacuum pump too--we can see one check valve (non-return valve) should be another somewhere on the 90 degree pipe line.
Depends upon which line you connect to that will determine whether you get suction or compression.
Interesting unit.
Could be converted into an engine.
Cheers,
Eddie B.

Charawacky

I believe this is an engine converted to a water pump as was last used.
The cylinder has a water jacket and connection ports which makes me think it was an engine at one time.

davob

I agree with the others i think it was a compressor given the following observations.

Compressors generate heat and require cooling hence the water jacket and cooling

There doesn't seem to be any mounting holes, brackets, cast lugs or any other provision anywhere on the frame for mounting or driving any gear train and governor setup, whether it be sideshaft or pushrod.

Charawacky

Thanks for the info, I had not realised compressors were sometimes water cooled. Can you please tell me why the none flywheel side of the crank is so long with a key-way? I do not know much about this type of machinery.
Just acquired an old engine and bench (images attached), which also drove the water pump/compressor located outside the shed.

Attachments

Charawacky

Close, I believe it is a PE 1070 Engine No 105141 from 1929.
A branch of my family bought it in the 1930's and they now need the space in their farm shed, so I was nominated to purchase it to keep it in the family!

Attachments

hiredman

I believe this is an engine converted to a water pump as was last used.
The cylinder has a water jacket and connection ports which makes me think it was an engine at one time.
Just wondering, are there any Bolt holes on the side of the base near the centre of the flywheel ?
The long shaft with long key way, could be intended for the Flywheel to be fitted that side originally.
Whatever it is its a interesting piece of old iron.

Rob.

hiredman

It is similar in style to a Engine built by Keighley Engineering, of Bingley, Yorkshire.

Rob.

Last edited:

Larry Evans

Subscriber
Can you please tell me why the none flywheel side of the crank is so long with a key-way? I do not know much about this type of machinery.
If you look at the images of the engine and saw table you will see that there is a very wide pulley on the engine next to the wall. I suspect the long shaft on the compressor is to accommodate two pulleys mounted adjacent to each other. One would be tightly attached to the shaft and the other would be allowed to spin freely. These are often referred to as a loose and a fixed pulley. With the wide pulley on the engine, the belt can be slid sideways so it will engage only one pulley on the compressor. With the belt on the loose pulley the engine can be started without the load of the compressor. After the engine is running the belt can then be shifted to the fixed pulley.

The attached image shows the same concept but on a line shaft. The lever with the red handle shifts the belt.

Regards,
Larry

Attachments

Wayne Timms

Subscriber
Hi Charawacky,

Looking at the photos, its difficult to determine whether this was an engine or a compressor.

I am curious as to why the cylinder head flange is so much heavier than the flange on the barrel. Is it because the head is water cooled? (this would make sense)

Does the piston use the entire length of the bore? Not much need for a compressor to have a space between the head and piston, the way yours is set up.

In any case, its a very nice looking item.

Regards,
Wayne

hiredman

Wayne,
I have attached a Image that I think has a lot of details that are a good match, the original photo even shows a bolt hole in the base where the valve rocker arm would mount.
It will be interesting to see what you and others think.

Rob.

Attachments

Charawacky

I would like to estimate the size of this engine.
Can anyone advise on a rule of thumb for engine capacity ratings from 1/2 to 3hp for this type of UK engine?
Or Typical bore for this Hp range.
Would UK manufacturers use RAC or actual HP?
Thanks