Plessisville Hercules engines.

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
I picked up some engines yesterday and one is a 7hp having a Plessisville name tag. Anyone know why people sometimes say that the Plessisville engines are copies of Hercules engines.

I'm not too familiar with Hercules engines, and I see some resemblances with Plessisville engines, but not enough to say one is a copy of the other.

I'm including a picture of the head on my 7hp Plessisville engine. The exhaust pipe comes out of the front of the head, not on the top, bottom or side of the head like found on about all engines.

Are there some Hercules engines with the exhaust pipe coming out of the front of the head like in this picture?

Arnie Fero

Subscriber
The town of Robertsonville is about 50 miles from Plessisville. The Robertsonville engines appear to be copies of the Waterloo engine line (especially the Wittry patent mixer). I wonder if these engine copies were done under license or just copied for commercial convenience?

Jeff P Smith

Subscriber
Denis, I thought I read in one of Glenn Kartch's books that they were made in Canada under a license from Hercules. I will take a look this evening if no one else comes up with an answer

R Towne

when I look at my Plessisville and my Hercules side by side it would be hard to say that there was no relationship between the two companies. It looks to me like Plessisville did their own castings and finished them out with Hercules components.

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Hi R. Towne. What size Plessisville engine do you have and what is the serial number on your Plessisville?

The more I look at my Plessisville engines, the less I see similarities with the Hercules engines.

Thank you!
Denis Rouleau

R Towne

Hi Denis
My Plessisville is 5 hp with the serial number 2773, i don't know if this makes it an early or late engine.
By any chance do you know what year this engine was manufactured ?

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
Plessisville #2773 is a 5hp built in 1931. Any pictures? I would like to add it to the Plessisville registry.
Denis Rouleau

Hi Denis
My Plessisville is 5 hp with the serial number 2773, i don't know if this makes it an early or late engine.
By any chance do you know what year this engine was manufactured ?

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
I was sent this picture of these 2 engines. The engine in the foreground is a 2hp Plessisville (s/n 2918) and the one in the background is a 1-1/2hp Hercules with a Bournival name tag. At least from this angle the 2 engines look similar.

Denis Rouleau

Subscriber
I know that the Plessisville in the picture was built in 1936. The other one in the same picture has the usual Hercules tag with serial number 203,835 - hp. 1.5E.

Can anyone tell me in what year the Hercules was made?

Thanks!
Denis Rouleau

Andrew Mackey

Denis, your 11/2 hercules was built in 1920. from what i see, hercule ceased production in 1934, with the model J engine. Some may have been sold from parts after Servel took over, but no new ones produced.

I too had heard that Pleissville was made under license to hercules. There was a lot of mixing and matching back then to beat the crosss border taxes and tarrifs.
Andrew