• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Plow Info Needed

CBarth66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2020
Can anyone help with info on this old horse drawn plow? It says Oliver Chilled on it. Maybe the chilled part is wrong, but that's what I think it is. I'd like to know the approximate year built and any other info is appreciated. We are going to try to have the wood replaced where the hook ring is on front. That end was buried in the dirt in a barn for years. Thanks.

Attachments

CBarth66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2020
I did some researching on the "Oliver Chilled Plow" and that is indeed what I have. It is an E1 model and had to be made in 1877 or earlier, because the company changed names in 1878 to the "South Bend Chilled Plow". Oliver made 4672 plows, then when South Bend took over they made over 10,000. The "Chilled" is the process of chilling the hot metal in the mold to harden it. Anyone with more info please feel free to chime in.

EmersonFan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2020
I think I first ran across the "Chilled Plow" thing when I was looking at some implement seats. I had to google Chilled Plow - this came up pretty quick.

"Oliver Chilled Plow. Manufactured in South Bend Indiana in the late 1800s to early 1900s by James Oliver of Oliver Plow Works. The term 'Chilled' refers to the casting process that made durable iron moldboards and retained a smooth finish even with heavy use. "

I just replicated the experiment.
It's one thing to take it on faith that by chilling the molten metal it makes better-quality iron or steel. It's another to read several articles describing how this works. It's quite fascinating. The constant, competitive incremental improvements, the legal battles, and the industrial espionage engaged in by the various implement manufacturers in the last 1800s is really fascinating.