• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Polished brass:To coat or not to coat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou Quirch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/13/2019
I have spent a lot of time polishing the brass pipes on my engine and would like some imput on the pros and cons of coating the brass with clear laquer or something similar.
I finished the polishing yesterday and it already has water marks. Am I being too finicky or do others like shiny brass parts also. Much rather spend time running the engines than polishing them.

Thanks,
Lou

Jeff Smith

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/05/2018
I like the brass to shine. I polish stuff on the buffing wheel with compound and then finish by hand with semi-chrome or a similar brass cleaner/polish that leaves a coating on it like Flitz (Eastwood). I have tried to coat stuff with clear coatings, but then I had to clean that off later to polish it again.

Jeff Smith

Joe Morris

Registered
The best thing I have ever found to keep brass or copper shining after buffing is to coat it with Johnsons paste floor wax. It kept a copper washing machine shining for years. Before that I could polish it and the next day it would be tanished again. It's worth a try.
Joe Morris, Good luck in a good hobby.

C

Chris Curtis

I like to keep my stuff polished to a high shine. I have tried to coat stuff before with poor results and do not recommend it. First of all brass that is coated will not shine as well as just polished. Second if the coating is damaged by fuel, heat or scratched the brass will tarnish in those spots and trying to polish it and repair the coating is impossible as the whole thing will become blotchy, then you will have to strip it and start over which is much harder then just keeping up on the polishing. I use Never Dull wadding and have found that if I polish frequently and never let the tarnish get bad then it is only a few minute job at every show to make it look good.

BWegher

Registered
A very highly polished surface will corrode more slowly. First buff with white rouge to get mirror finish. Then maintain with red rouge or tripoli.

Jim Tremble

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2016
On my brass parts, I use Mothers Alumium Polish. It does a fantastic job. No mess and little effort. With this, I can shine a part in less that 3 mins.

Try it,

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.