• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Port Huron 7341 in Lower Mid-Michigan

WaltM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019
This Port Huron has been sitting in this spot for approximately 41 years. Was last fired up about 10 years ago to power a saw-mill. Might soon be on the move....

Attachments

K.O'Connell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Re: Port Huron 7341 in lower Mid-Michigan

That's a nice looking Port. It looks like they built an awning right behind it where it is assumed the wood pile was kept. It doesn't look like they ever intended to move it, so I would assume this was a commercial operation. I hope the rest of the sawmill is photo documented and that the rest of the story gets told here. Thanks for the post.

Jason H

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/12/2016

The engine looks pretty good in the pictures looking forward to more pics and the rest of the story congratulations to the new owner.

K.O'Connell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019

I was looking closely at this photo and realized they had mounted gutters on the canopy, both sides! I hope who ever acquires this engine, keeps them, they are very unique! Also, I'm wondering about that pulley on the front wheel, whether it's independent of the engine or bolted to the wheel?

WaltM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019

The day has arrived to move the engine. Hoping the weather cooperates. We took off the belt and the pulley off the front wheel the day we took the pictures. The evetrough will be coming off this morning and move whatever is needed. Also when we were there last we oil the bearings. It will be about a 75 mile move from Millington to here. Will take more pictures. Walt M

Shelby Babcock

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/29/2017

Here is a video I put together, including some pictures I took today. It took some thinking and muscle, but we were able to get it out of the woods in only a few hours. It was a really fun morning, and it couldn't be going to a better home, or have a better owner. See video below.

Demoman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/13/2014

What a wonderful find!!! Hope you can share the whole story and update with more pics and video.

gibbykart

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/22/2017

What's the condition of the engine, I.e. the boiler, the cylinder is obviously loose as it was cycling while being pulled. Also what's the home show of it going to be? Gotta come and see it. -Mike

K.O'Connell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019

Will the sawmill follow the engine? That waltz was really nice, who are the musicians?

The engine looked so clean and complete, it must have been tempting to just put a fire in it and see if it could be driven out. I know that would be foolish, but it really looks to be in great condition. Congratulations to the new owners. Would like to see videos of when they get it running again. Thank you.

Last edited:

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019

No, not foolish, Just a bit time consuming to do it right. First a close visual and possibly a Ultra sound to be positive about it. then a hydro for sure. Then check the fittings and injectors etc for function. Piece of cake! :O

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

I'm really surprised just how many of these old engines are still out there in their working clothes!

WaltM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019

Thank you for the comments. It would of been fun to drive the engine out on steam. However the last time the Kennard brothers were sawing a flue began leaking. When we inspected the engine last December we had Dave Kemler come for his help. Anticipating the need for new flues along with new piping, water tanks. Getting the boiler checked over. The stay bolts looked in good condition. I guessing it will be two years before we will be ready for a show. The shows would be Port Hope, Caro and the Octagon Barn at Gagetown nearby. Did not buy the sawmill but it may not be to far away. Possibly take the engine there between shows for more fun. As soon as i get more information from Lynn Kennard and the build sheet from Dave Kemler will post more.

K.O'Connell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019

However the last time the Kennard brothers were sawing a flue began leaking......
So what is the story about this engine and the sawmill? It looks like it was well taken care of all it's life.

WaltM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019

This is the history thus far I have from Lynn M. Kennard he had gathered. From record keeping his dad Lawrence A. Kennard kept, regarding his Port Huron Long Fellow 19 Steam Traction Engine, serial number 7341. The year 1913 cast on the big gear on the rear wheels. Lynn's dad purchased the engine from a Mr John Hecht of Vassar, Mi, in 1950,accord to a copy of the receipt. John Hecht, who along with his brothers George and Adolph, bought the engine new from the Port Huron Engine & Thresher Company. They threshed and did some sawmill work. Mr Hecht sold the engine on the condition it would not be scrapped out, Lynn distinctly recalls his dad telling him. At the time of purchase Lawrence Kennard had no experience operating a steam engine, but he gained experience from Oscar and Bill Hess. The Hess brothers had a sawmill run by steam about 3 miles away. Mr. Kennard also bought a sawmill earlier from Mr. Ted Spencer of Fairgrove, Mi. Early on he used a gas tractor but did not like it He said it was more costly and did not have the power of a steam engine. Mr. Kennard did not saw as a business but a hobby. He was the sawyer while his brother Bradley Kennard was fireman and engineer.

K.O'Connell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019

That makes total sense. This lucky engine has always been owned by people who appreciate it.

WaltM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019

Had tried to post some pictures without luck. When my son comes home from Battle Creek after riding the rails will post. We had about 15 people, family, friends and neighbors of Mr. Kennard and mine come out to see the engine move and get loaded on a trailer.

K.O'Connell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019

Had tried to post some pictures without luck.
Can some moderators help you out? I do want to see what is happening with this engine. I'm hoping the saw mill will also be rescued.