• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Port Huron 7341 in Lower Mid-Michigan

WaltM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019
Re: Port Huron 7341 in lower Mid-Michigan

Here is the steam engine being unloaded in Pt. Austin after a safe trip.

On a side note, the saw mill was sold and will be near Owendale and the new owners plans to get it working again. Who knows, maybe the two will be reunited someday...

For K.O'Connell question about the music, the musician is Jay Ungar and the title of the song is "The Lovers Waltz"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPzzdpLv75M

Attachments

WaltM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019

The first picture is of Lawrence Kennard and the second picture is of his brother Bradley. Pictures were taken at their homestead farm about a half mile away from where the engine was for approximately the last 41 years (until we moved it:)). As can been seen on the bottom, the pictures were taken in August 1956.

Attachments

gibbykart

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/22/2017

It appears to have a plowing drawbar on it, is it one or just a fabrication? Nice Find -Mike

K.O'Connell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019

"Lovers Waltz" thanks! Maybe Gary Yeager can play it on his squeeze box for us? I'm glad the sawmill has a new owner as well. This old machinery was so well built, it needs to keep working.

Gibbykart's observation about the drawbar makes sense considering the wear on the wheels. It looks like this engine was used for plowing much of it's life.

The Kennards look so proud of this engine, it's great that new owners are now going to look after it. I follow the Traction Talk forums in the UK and it's a celebration when a well known engine is passed off to a new owner. All their engines are given names, which use to be a tradition in this country with American locomotives up to the late 1800s. This engine should be named Michigan for the state it has spent it's life working in.

Last edited:

Tim Mathis

Registered

It appears to have a plowing drawbar on it, is it one or just a fabrication? Nice Find -Mike
This is an AMAZING engine! - CONGRATULATIONS and thanks for sharing!

Sure looks like a factory installed heavy 'Special' drawbar to me. Port 6637 has the same drawbar (except axle supports are 'on vacation' till I can make new ones). 6637 was used to pull a roadgrader and with the wear on the wheels a grader seems like a likely use for this engine sometime in the past.

With the drawbar being supported off the axles and several points across off the deck frame and center of the waterbottom it was extremely strong so the same load could be pulled at the outer end of the drawbar (or close to full load anyway) as could be pulled directly off the regular centered drawbar. It has hitchpin holes all the way across right out to each end to allow the grader to be offset to whichever side it needed to be for most effective grade work while allowing the engine to still be as close to staying on 'good' surface as it could be to pull most effectively. Catalog says they could be used to pull multiple attachments.

Despite it being 1/2" x 4" x 4" angle, from the welds and twists and curves in mine I can tell you that without those axle supports it loses a lot of its strength! Now if I could just get a closeup pic or two of how those axle support bars attach to the end of the drawbar.... :brows: :D

WaltM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019

Here are pictures of the drawbar supports, hope they help with what your looking for. This engine has the factory added options of the plowing drawbar and better gear shields, also the jacket, canopy and 12 inch wide flywheel instead of 10.5 inch. Already pulled the grates out for cleaning and inspection. Next chance, I will do more cleaning. The last picture is of my son Matt and myself. He corrects my grammar and uploads the pictures for me.:O

Attachments

Tom Runty

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

At some point they stopped attaching the side struts to the regular 1880E hub caps with those nice forged and welded loops, and went to a different hub cap with the attachment points cast in. Jon Gould's 1919 19 has the later cast hubs. They also stopped using the nicely forged hitch and replaced with a casting, number 2566E. Ask the User might know when, but possibly around 1915, when a bunch of changes in design were made.

Tom R.

gibbykart

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/22/2017

Has anyone tried making one of these lately? Also to anyone who has used them, how helpful are they? -Mike

Tim Mathis

Registered

WOW! I was hoping to get a picture that kinda showed enough to get an idea of how I could whip up some sort of reasonable imposters and you guys just pulled out all the stops! This group never ceases to amaze. THANK YOU EVERYONE! :p All I have to find now is the time to get it done.

One of the best things about that special drawbar is that it sure makes it a lot easier to get on & off the engine!

Now for another question, might be really a dumb one but I've only seen one other one so I'm gonna ask anyway . . .
What is that figure of 8 thing hanging on the drawbar of the roller in the catalog pic? PH 6637 has exactly the same thing hanging in the same place and so far I've never bumped into anybody that could tell me for sure what it was for. It's forged wrought iron and the ends are beveled to overlap like they could have been hammer welded but it doesn't look like they ever were. I always thought it was some 'rigged up' thing put there by some blacksmith for something they used the engine for and almost torched it off once or twice (but I have a soft spot for leaving things as-is because to me they're all a part of a long story of what makes that engine unique and a part of it's history - so thank goodness it survives). Any ideas what it's purpose was?

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE! :wave:

9 hp Alamo

Registered

Did not buy the sawmill but it may not be to far away. Possibly take the engine there between shows for more fun.
I debated whether or not I should create a new thread, but I figured that this belonged in this thread. The other half the the steam engine - sawmill setup should be followed up on.

The sawmill that the steam engine was hooked to was bought by me. It's been setting in the shed for the past several years, and this year I finally decided to get it set up. I started around the Fourth of July and worked on it on and off through the past several months. Me and a couple friends got together this past Sunday to try and run it. We got the Rumely out of the shed and drove it the mile or so to the location of the mill. Everything was belted up, greased and oiled. After running the log through it once, the log side of the track shifted. We reset the track securing it down better this time, and tried again. However, the blade just wobbled too much, so we shut it down.

Upon further investigation, it appears that the blade is sprung. when I set the guide pins and rotate the blade by hand, it hits the guide pins on one side, and then the other. I knew when I acquired the mill that the last time the mill was run the carriage had jumped the track and hit the blade, so it was possible that the blade was sprung and needed hammering. I'm going to take the blade to Lafave Saw Shop in Saginaw, and get it hammered. Meanwhile, I'll check the rest of my setup to make sure everything is level, straight, etc. Even if the blade isn't the problem (though I doubt it) it will need to be hammered for the proper rpm. The steamer should run the mill at about 450 rpm, but the Rumely (a 1929 30-60 'Y') will run it at about 600 rpm. On Monday, I was at the Caro club Christmas Party, and a friend did mention that running the blade too fast could cause the wobble too.

A big thanks to Hogan and Jeff for helping! I don't know how much I'll get done to the mill during the rest of this year because here in Michigan it's just way too cold!
Here's some pictures of the little pow-wow on Sunday. Enjoy!

---------- Post added at 08:00:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52:11 PM ----------

I noticed a "type-o" the Rumely is a 30-50, not a 30-60 (OOPS!)

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015

Here's some pictures of the little pow-wow on Sunday. Enjoy!
You will have to ask google for a public link to share your photos.
Right click a photo and select Get sharable link, copy that and paste it into your message.
The selected photos won't display within your post but at least we'll be able to view them....... :)

sniewoonder

Registered
That's awesome.
Im in kalamazoo and just began the restoration of a case 50. We almost have it completely striped and hope to have it back out in the spring and would love to hook it to the sawmill some time.

cerial

Registered
That's awesome.
Im in kalamazoo and just began the restoration of a case 50. We almost have it completely striped and hope to have it back out in the spring and would love to hook it to the sawmill some time.
Would be great to see it at Charlton Park in Hastings at the Gas and steam show in early July.

WaltM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019
I have been putting off posting updates on here. Since someone brought it back up to the top recently I guess I should. After getting the engine home two years ago in July 2015, I've gone completely through the engine. Got new handhole gaskets, cleaned the boiler, filled it with water. Put the pressure up to 150 hydrostat with air from our shop and only minor seeps. Dave Kemler came over one Saturday and we steamed it up. Got about 125 and a flue let go. At least we ran the engine some. In August, I drained the boiler and we put the Port Huron in the shed for the first time since 1950. Here is a picture of us moving the engine from the shed to our old shop.

Attachments