• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Port Huron 7341 in Lower Mid-Michigan

K.O'Connell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
What were the original colors of this engine? It looks like it was all black. Are there plans to completely tear it down and restore it? It also seems to lack a whistle?

WaltM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019
Recently I had talked with Matt Odenburg. He said the engine was last fired in Oct-Nov 2005. He was running the engine for the Kennards. They just got started sawing when trying to add water one of the pipes begun leaking so they shut down. Had planned on all new pipes the next year, however Mr Kennards brother Bradley passed away.Matt stated they always ran 175 psi.

WaltM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019
Re: Port Huron 7341 in lower Mid-Michigan

Great find, I hope that she will get left in her working clothes.

Nathan :wave:
I feel that when people see a rusty tractor or engine, those not involved or informed as we are, would not care to look. My plan is below

Sorry guys, but this old tractor is going to look as close to coming out of the factory as I can. Some like the keep it the way it is look, but I like a nice painted one. I know it will be hard to keep clean.

WaltM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019
Beth You would not want the green one, probably would have a problem getting a banker to finance it. Also the older one can be a expensive toy, replacing flues,new piping, new popoff valve, cleaning and painting etc.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Even so, that green one will eat a lot more money than the old one, and I'm sure it will never last nearly as long either!

oldiesteam

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/14/2019
Usually after a hour of sawing that blue flannel I'm wearing in the pictures came off. Stayed at nice comfortable temp while we were sawing. Definitely miss running that engine.

WaltM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019
Matt thanks for posting pictures of the engine. Hope I can get copies for the scrapbook. Will post more pictures in a couple of days of more progress. As the engine was generously greased and oiled it was well preserved. WaltM

WaltM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019
It has been four years and I am slowly making progress. Easier to clean when you take the wheels off. Also took the drawbar frame apart some to remove the heavy rust & scale off. Then straighten, rivet and painted it. Hopefully I'll be able paint the engine in June and July when its warmer.

Attachments

JoeCB

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/28/2019
I just want to say how much I appreciate the story, the history, the photos and especially all the effort that has and is going into this beautiful engine. I hope to see her steaming at one of the shows in the "thumb" in near future.
Thanks again to all for posting.

Joe B

WaltM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019
Update: Tubes have been installed and rolled also finished beading today.. Parts are being painted and re-installed on the boiler. It starting to look like a steamer again!

Attachments

Last edited:

Ben Busfield

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/12/2017
is this a 1913 or an early 1914 / boy it`s looking good. keep the photos coming.. :D

WaltM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019
Hi The shipping date was April 21 1914 to Vassar Mi. Thanks for your interest. Next week will be Sugarbeet harvest, then 3 weeks of Corn harvest. So this project will move slowly for a while. Walt M