Port Huron Smoke Box Cover

Beth V

Re: Port Huron smoke box cover

Patch in the belly of the boiler. I'm curious why the door bracket has so many holes drilled in it? It looks like a 19 hp door-if it belongs to that boiler. Are there any additional parts for it?

Ryan Williams

Subscriber

Believe it or not, the boiler is not patched if I recall correctly. It just has welds on it from attaching pieces and accessories. It used to be mounted on a Davenport chassis, Byron RR #2967. It was built by Byron Hiatt along with one other engine and he ran a little tourist trap in Iowa. He kind of cobbled things together as evidenced by a traction engine boiler being used on a locomotive. When he needed to mount something, he held up a piece of steel and welded it on. The patch looking spot at the smokebox is where the boiler was welded to the engine saddle. I have not seriously inspected it, but I believe the boiler to likely be internally sound.

As for the holes in the door, that would be from the full sized locomotive number plate that was mounted to the front. Take a look at the pictures. I don't know what to think of it. There are no other additional parts for a Port Huron unless you count some badges in the shop down below. But that's another story.

Also, here's the tender and the remains of the cab that used to be with the engine. The tender and the cab.

I can take a look at the boiler and door tomorrow (or any day) if anyone has questions. Just let me know.

Attachments

FWurth

One Millionth Post

Thanks for that insight. Is the boiler from a 19 or a 24 hp? Curious as to why the loco was dismantled? Looks to be a decent job from the pictures, wouldn't think some one would destroy such a kit. Myself am in need of a good boiler for our 24 Longfellow.

Ryan Williams

Subscriber

Thanks for that insight. Is the boiler from a 19 or a 24 hp? Curious as to why the loco was dismantled? Looks to be a decent job from the pictures, wouldn't think some one would destroy such a kit. Myself am in need of a good boiler for our 24 Longfellow.
I don't know what size, I'll measure the boiler tomorrow. Locomotive was dismantled because Alan wanted to rebuild the engine correctly instead of the farmer job. Chassis was sold a couple years ago to a collector in California who has since restored it to an original type trench engine if I understand correctly.

Ryan Williams

Subscriber

Boiler is 27" ID with 9ft long tubes. 36 count 2" tubes. Confirmed no patches, just welds from attachments.

FWurth

One Millionth Post

Thanks Ryan. I went out and measured ours, 30 in. ID. So that boiler is from a 19 HP Longfellow. :)