• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Port Hurons Are Perky!

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
Hey kids!? - There must be a lot more to say about Port Huron engines, one of the best engines made in the good ol' USA! So, to get it started, here are some snapshots. The first are of a little PH that sat for years at Wabash, Ontario (near Sarnia). It has just changed hands and is now in the Ontario Steam Heritage Museum at Puslinch. Perhaps some of the folks in Western Ontario can say a bit more about this unit? I don't know a thing about it except that it was shown at Western Ontario Threshers at Brigden in the past?
G.

Attachments

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
And here are a couple more.
The first is a shot sent to me probably 25 years ago of a beautiful PH owned by the Brethorst family of Lodi, Wisconsin. Again, haven't got a clue (about most things!) about hp, etc., except that it is a 1917 vintage? Anyone?
The second one is a mystery too. All it says on the back is; "The 32-100 Port Huron I bought Oct.18 1944 near Lansing, Mich."???? Another fantastic looking outfit and someone must know who the mystery "I" is?
G.

Attachments

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
G!

Ah, such a fine thread!:D

I'm guessing LeRoy Blaker owned that 32-100 Port Huron. I am attaching another angle of the engine. NTA owns the original glass negative for it

I'm also attaching a picture that LeRoy Blaker took of my 24 Port Huron #7948 next to his 32-100 Port Huron pulling on something. I tend to believe that these 32's are one in the same. The pictures would most likely have been taken back in the 30's.

Thanks G!!!!!!..you are after my heart!:brows:

Beth

Attachments

MoRo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/15/2019
I figgerred this'd bring Beth outta the woodwork!!! Ports are pretty engines, and no scalded chickenhawk on the smokebox door either!!!:brows:

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Thanks Monte,

I'm afraid I may bore people if I get too post heavy!!....I have lots!

CRAIG & HARRY: I love the auto photo resize!:D

Beth

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Since Bruce & others have debated the ASME numbers, I'm attaching a picture of the numbers on the back head of my boiler. It clearly shows all.

24-75 Port Huron built in February 1917 SN#7948

Beth

Attachments

Brad Kelley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
These pics are some I took at this year's show in Bridgewater, Virginia.
I really like this engine. It's a nice smaller size and seemed to run great!

P.S.
I prefer to post pics in full size, but i understand this might be undesirable for people with slower internet access. I haven't gotten any complaints yet, but if it's a problem for anybody I could start posting my pics as thumbnails like those above. Thanks.

edit:
hows this? :)

Last edited:
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Brad,
I was informed I need to start linking photos, which my brain can't comprehend yet, but it is so those with dial up service don't spend the evening opening things. I guess it takes too much of Harry's bandwidth too. I have been the largest offender to date. Craig was going to call last night and talk me through it, but he had a meeting that lasted later than he thought, likely. I will really miss posting huge photos. Kind of like a junkie on junk?
Gary;)

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
As long as the issue of gallery links and attachments has come up......;)
Harry would PREFER that photos be attached using the attachment feature.
Yes...it is MUCH better for dialup users and it saves bandwidth on this site.

Gary........I TRIED calling but got busy signals........REPEATEDLY......:bonk:
You HAVE to be able to be online and use the phone at the same time so I can walk you though this.............;) ...............and I'm happy to do so....
Craig

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
I'll be around there tonight. Why don't you send me your PN offline and I can call you. I wasn't reprimanding you, friend. Son Mike, and Pam were returning from Guatemala with our new granddaughter, Heather and we were trying to find out what part of the skies they were in, with the other grandparents, after they flew out of Texas.

Yes, RevJJ, they actually LEFT Texas.:eek:
Gary;)

HarryFrye

Registered
Ah, a Port Huron thread - neat!

Attached is an old photo of my Granddad's Port Huron outside his place in Ypsilanti Mi. This was the engine that he used on his sawmill (notice the logs in the foreground) and yes, Highwheeler, there is another classic old car in the background.

Harry

Attachments

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Hi Harry!

That engine is now owned by the Don Henry family in Perrysburg, OH and won Best Restored Engine at NTA a couple of years ago. My Dad & I hauled it from its resting spot in what used to be a greenhouse area (I think??) to Henry's back in the early '80's. Dan had the pictures out this summer.

I'll post a picture tonight if I have one!

That step below the cylinders gives it away every time!

Beth