• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Port Hurons Are Perky!

BDMelon

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/29/2008
:eek: i just have to cross the creek again here & come forth , i got to say
that POrt does have a sound to itself , Beth i listen to the others pulling on the dyno & the fan, :shrug: but that PORT sure talks loud :D

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Thanks Brian:brows: You've crossed over to the better side now!:brows:

I've attached 2 pictures of Steve & Lori Ott's 1909 32-100 Port Huron. The engine belonged to Steve's Grandfather. Steve did a beautiful job on the complete restoration. It has a lapseam boiler & is inspected for 150# in Michigan. The wheels are in excellent condition.

The third picture is Philip Zuver (Ask the User) and Richard Schniepp's 32-100 Port Huron. This is a Rynda engine and was buried to the axle. It too has a lapseam boiler. Phil has done a wonderful job on its restoration to working order. He is promising to have the head tank back on it for the Port Huron feature at Wauseon in 2007.

Enjoy!

Beth

Attachments

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
As requested, here are scans of Port Huron equipment from my 1917-18 Port Huron Catalog. The 12-25 Port Huron tractor is from the 1920 catalog.

Neat equipment. If anyone knows where examples construction equipment are, please let me know. NTA is featuring Port Huron in 2007 and we'd really like to have the accompanying equipment

Thanks!
Beth

Attachments

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
Here is a shot from a 1907 P&O plow ad showing a PH with what looks like their factory cab. Also a couple of shots from Country Heritage Park collection at Milton, Ontario of their Robert Bell with Bell factory cab. Bell built engines at Seaforth, Ontario and were obviously built under license from PH. Cab was same as PH I think? Sorry if the Bell shots are a little dark, as not a lot of light in the steam barn at the museum.
G.

Attachments

Ask The User

Email NOT Working
Hi G.

I've been to Milton a few times and somehow missed that Port Huron with two steering wheels. It looks like I have a good reason to make the show again. I've heard of engines with the brackets for steering on either side, as it was an option but I've never seen one with two steering wheels. I'll have to ask Dave Kemler about that one. Do you have the engine number?

Port Huron's have a solid axle up front, so both steering wheels must spin together. Sooner or later one would be sure to rap you somewhere you didn't want it to. Kind of like the steering wheel spinning around on Daren's Aultman Taylor when the power steering is being used. It's a big bruise just waiting to happen.

I spoke with Kemler today about the possibility of rear mount Port Huron engines. Dave's not aware of any being built that weren't side mount. He did remind me that they offered a return flue but actually recommended in the catalog that it not be purchased. He said 12 is the smallest and 38 is the largest. He has all the original factory records, blueprints, etc. I would say he's the best reference source there is on Port Huron. Kemler's farm is Port Huron headquarters.

Is it getting cold up north yet?
Philip

Sawyer-Massey 11-22

Registered
Are both steering wheels connected to its own shaft or is one steering wheel just an extension of the other? Curious minds want to know.

Harry
Harry: Sorry I can't recall as it has been a quite a few years siince I have seen the engine. It is static display at the former Ontario Agricultural Museum since the family donated it there a number of years ago. Perhaps Gee will pipe in here again and clarify that for us.

Robert

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
Guys - Not sure about the two steering wheels and it has been a while since I took those pictures? Remember, it is a Robert Bell, not a PH. Even though Bell built to PH's general designs they did do things in their own factory and maybe a little differently - witness the 30 hp Bell rearmount that is nothing like a PH! I will have to have a closer look at that engine next time over there. Tried adding a couple of more pictures right now but no luck! It has been brutal this week trying to work through Smokstak. My dialup is extra slow this week and I can still get by if I try to upload pix early on in a session; but the longer I am on, the worse it gets. I just get "this page not available" or some such notice. Do I have a modem problem, phone line problem? Or just a computer than belongs on the dung heap? Any thoughts out there?
Thanx,
G.

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
I've attached the NTA's old 19 hp Port Huron now owned by Bud & Steve Hinebeck. They did a fine restoration on the engine.

This is one of the 3 original Port Hurons that LeRoy Blaker always took pictures of. I'll see if I can find one with all 3 in it--the 19, my 24 & the "Cedar Point" 24.

Beth

Attachments

Last edited:

BDMelon

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/29/2008
Thanks Brian:brows: You've crossed over to the better side now!:brows:

I've attached 2 pictures of Steve & Lori Ott's 1909 32-100 Port Huron. The engine belonged to Steve's Grandfather. Steve did a beautiful job on the complete restoration. It has a lapseam boiler & is inspected for 150# in Michigan. The wheels are in excellent condition.

The third picture is Philip Zuver (Ask the User) and Richard Schniepp's 32-100 Port Huron. This is a Rynda engine and was buried to the axle. It too has a lapseam boiler. Phil has done a wonderful job on its restoration to working order. He is promising to have the head tank back on it for the Port Huron feature at Wauseon in 2007.

Enjoy!

Beth
Lets not go that far yet!!!!:D

Tim Searson

eMail NOT Working
The ser # of the first engine is 8267 on the front door
The other engine i did not get it (maybe some body else can fill that in)
Sorry
Tim

Sawyer-Massey 11-22

Registered
Tim:

Your first picture taken at Wayne's, is that Barrett Muir's Sawyer Compound sticking it's rear into the pic? Heard it went there.

Robert

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
PH Experts? - Did PH quit making singles once they got into the tandem compounds? Not sure I have seen anything but the basic tandem compound PH (except for the elusive DTC hi-wheeler in Ontario):)
G.

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
I've posted these elsewhere, but they just as well be here too, huh, Beth?

The first one is of Adolph Odenwald's engine, and he was my granddad Yaeger's neighbor in Montana's Judith Basin. Circa 1905?

This one was owned by the Great Northern Railroad for use around the rail yards at Whitefish, Montana.

This one is one my friend, the late Tom Stebritz, sent me of a Port Huron with cab, pulling a "dead" Reeves and thresher.
Gary;)

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
G is starting more new threads--which are grand--so I thought I would bring this one back to life!

I've attached a photo of a double tandem compound Port Huron. I hear there is one out in Missouri. Does anyone have current photos? This one is a bit dark...

Beth

Attachments